FT; 3 (12 hour shifts) rotating weekends and holidays
We re searching for a Charge Respiratory Therapist,coordinates/leads daily clinical operational activities of the RT department by ensuring that quality care is delivered in an efficient work environment. Collaborates with the RT Supervisor to maintain an environment that advocates for staff and promotes individual/team engagement through clinical/administrative expertise and professional leadership.
- Coordinates/leads daily clinical operational activities of the unit by ensuring that quality care is delivered in an efficient work environment to include:
- Managing patient flow
- Balances patient care workload while overseeing other RT staff to be sure the best quality of care is provided
- In times of high census, effectively problem solves and utilizes available resources including RT staff, RT supervisors and the RT Manager to maintain maximum quality patient care.
- Maintains constant department awareness, adjusting patient assignments and directing workflow according to changes in patient acuities/needs, unforeseen events, and unit activities.
- Utilizes clinical leadership in ensuring that patient care activities meet established unit/organizational/ practice standards of care through patient/family rounding, communication with healthcare team and in directing and/or assisting in the delivery of clinical patient care.
- Facilitates communication between healthcare team members/departments in advocating for quality/coordinated patient care, and ensuring that patient/family needs are met.
- Overseeing staffing processes
- Coordinates assignments using established staffing levels that match individualized patient needs with staff competencies, and staff skill mix.
- Assigns and delegates patient assignments according to the knowledge and skills of the staff available.
- Anticipates plans and adjusts staffing needs daily, 24 out, and on a weekly basis, resolves staffing issues as they arise, and updates RT supervisor and or RT manager daily.
- Consistently ensures documentation on daily staffing sheets and assignment sheets reflects accurate staffing.
- RT staffing is adjusted consistently according to established staffing policies/procedures/guidelines/standards.
- Unresolved staffing concerns and unique staffing adjustments are appropriately communicated to the RT supervisors and RT manager in a timely manner.
- Monitoring unit environment
- Ensures that staff has the supplies, equipment, information, and resources needed to provide quality patient care in a safe work environment.
- Assesses unit supplies and equipment needs on a daily basis.
- Shift report reflects unit standards. Delivery of report to ongoing charge respiratory therapist reflects unit activities.
- Lead assigned staff in performing respiratory therapy treatments
- Set up and operate devices such as mechanical ventilators, therapeutic gas administration apparatus, environmental control systems, and aerosol generators, following specified parameters of treatment.
- Determine requirements for treatment, such as type, methods and duration of therapy, precautions to be taken, and medication and dosages, compatible with physician s orders.
- Read physicians orders, measure arterial blood gases, and review patient information to assess patient s condition.
- Explain treatment procedures to patients to gain cooperation and allay fears.
- Monitor patient s physiological responses to therapy such as vital signs, arterial blood gases and blood chemistry changes and consult with physician if adverse reactions occur.
- Administer therapeutic gases including nitrogen, nitric oxide, heliox, etc.
- Enforce safety rules and ensure careful adherence to physicians orders.
- Maintain charts that contain patient pertinent identification and therapy information.
- Inspect, clean, test, and maintain respiratory therapy equipment to ensure equipment is functioning safely and efficiently and notify manager/supervisor when repairs are necessary.
- Educate patients and/or their families about the patient s condition and teach appropriate disease management techniques such as breathing exercises and the use of medications and respiratory equipment.
- Perform bronchopulmonary drainage and assist or instruct patients in performance of breathing exercises.
- Conduct lung capacity tests to evaluate patient s cardiopulmonary functions.
- Provide emergency care, including artificial respiration, external cardiac massage and assistance with cardiopulmonary resuscitation.
- Complete all required respiratory therapy competency tests within specified timeline.
- Demonstrate competency in identified technical skills for the respiratory department at the specific work area.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Must possess leadership skills including communication, organizational skills, time management, coping skills, motivation, problem-solving, autonomy, and supporting the team.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Graduate of an accredited AMA approved school of respiratory care accredited by the National Board of Respiratory Care required.
- Minimum of 2 years experience as an RT required
- Experience in pediatrics preferred.
- Current and valid Nebraska license as a Respiratory Care Practitioner required
- Current and valid National Certified Respiratory Therapist (CRT) credential required.
- Current and valid National Registered Respiratory Therapist (RRT) credential required.
- Current and valid National Registered Neonatal/Pediatric Respiratory Therapist (RRT-NPS) credential within one year of hire.
- Current and valid Basic Life Support (BLS) through the American Heart Association is required.
- Pediatric Advanced Life Supports (PALS) certification required within six months of employment.
Children's Hospital & Medical Center - Omaha