Short Posting Description
We re searching for a C.N.A. to provide direct care for the comfort, safety and personal needs of pediatric patients under the direction and supervision of the RN, and provides for indirect unit support needs related to supplies and equipment. Facilitate the entry of visitors/customers on to a patient care area. Provides secretarial support to nursing/medical personnel.
- Provides individualized* age-specific patient/family care, performing and/or assisting with area tests and patient care procedures as delegated by the RN.. Adhering to hospital policies and procedures, provides individual patient cares according to the plan of care, delegated tasks and physician orders. (*Individualized refers to the patient s developmental, cognitive, cultural, psychosocial, spiritual and education/family influences and physician/ medical care needs.)
- Demonstrates knowledge of appropriate care for infant, toddler, preschool, school age and adolescent patients.
- Utilizes patient/family input in delivering individualized patient care.
- Completes delegated tasks in an appropriate time frame, based on patient needs such as vital signs, intake/output, height/weight/head circumference measurements, ADL s, preparing for patient arrival/discharge, transports, tests and assists RN/MD with procedures.
- Participates with the multidisciplinary team in providing feedback/input into the patient/family care needs.
- Sets and revises priorities based on patient care urgency, patient/family/staff requests, other department demands/schedules, utilizing available resources as necessary.
- Documentation reflects patient care provided.
- Documentation is completed within the established time frames.
- Documentation is accurately completed in appropriate EPIC flowsheets.
- Maintains environment of care for patient/family and unit.
- Ensures patient room environment provides for the comfort, cleanliness, safety of the patient/family, at the beginning and end of shift, and throughout the shift as needed.
- Prepares room environment for next admission and throughout patient stay with supplies/linens, including bedside/unit supply carts.
- Performs cleaning tasks in patient rooms to include countertops, refrigerators, bedside tables, as appropriate/needed throughout the shift.
- Ensures that patients are provided with age-appropriate toys, games, infant equipment, and assists with routine cleaning of these items, as needed.
- Ensures upon transfer or discharge, extra patient supplies are removed and/or credited, and the hospital equipment is returned to it s proper place.
- Oversees equipment s availability in patient rooms and on the unit by ensuring equipment is properly stored, taking initiative to clean equipment and follow up on equipment maintenance needs. Communicates equipment needs to Clinical Manager.
- Maintains unit environment, i.e. keeping hallways clear of equipment/ obstructions, maintaining patient medical records by placing patient reports in charts, stocking alcove areas/treatment rooms, keeping lollipop areas clear of clutter. Communicates unit environment needs to Clinical Manager.
- Operates an efficient entrance point into the patient care area based on departmental need.
- Takes initiative to greet, escort, and meet needs of visitors/customers using positive, effective personal/professional communication skills.
- Consistently screens visitors per unit policy for Infectious disease and appropriateness of visitation.
- Answers telephones, routes calls to appropriate persons/area, and takes messages professionally, timely, and accurately, and arranges for appropriate phone coverage as needed.
- Obtains and assures patient/family references are readily available for display (i.e. brochures, on CMH services, video library, in parent waiting area, patient rooms, etc.)
- When away from the reception area, will ensure that visitors/customers can identify how to reach someone on the unit.
- Provides the unit with secretarial support based on departmental need.
- Maintains work area in a clean and orderly fashion to include working knowledge, preventive maintenance and minor repairs of area copy/fax machine in addition to other equipment/furniture/supplies as directed.
- Demonstrates ability to prioritize visitor/customer needs while maintaining secretarial responsibilities.
- Assists system/staff correspondence on the unit to include filing, copying requests, organizing educational materials, faxing, mail delivery, maintenance of unit materials, and admission/procedure packets.
- Distributes/organizes information/communication for the unit including phone lists, call schedules, and ensures appropriate forms and supplies are stocked in the alcoves.
- Assists the unit in staffing services (i.e., calling in staff, canceling shifts, and preparing staff assignment sheets and collating careplans for change of shift).
- Utilizes professional etiquette in answering, screening and directing phone calls.
- Takes initiative to greet, assist and guide patients and visitors in a pleasant and professional manner.
- Orders area supplies, including forms, as directed, to ensure adequate inventory by anticipating area usage and needs.
- Prepares floor assignment sheets/materials for oncoming shift.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Must be certified in basic cardiac life support.
- Knowledge and experience in basic computer skills/word processing packages to include ability to analyze/edit.
- Must be able to perform a variety of duties, often changing from one task to another of a different nature, without loss of efficiency or composure, and be able to perform under stressful conditions when confronted with multiple requests, demonstrating prioritization skills.
- Must have effective verbal, written communication skills and interpersonal skills.
- Requires excellent verbal, written and interpersonal skills
- Ability to operate basic office equipment
- Self-directed, attentive to details
- Demonstrates abilities to maintain confidentiality
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- High school diploma or GED equivalent required.
- Completion of a certified nursing assistant training course or currently a nursing student required.
- Prefer experience as a nursing assistant with pediatric patients.
- Prefer experience with secretarial/receptionist duties
- Prefer knowledge of medical terminology
- Current and valid Basic Life Support (BLS) through the American Heart Association is required.
Children's Hospital & Medical Center - Omaha