We re searching for a Mgr Clinical Pathology to serve as the leader/advocate for Pathology Department in order to accomplish organizational and departmental strategic goals and objectives. Plan, implement, direct, and evaluate activities for Performance Improvement, Continuous Accreditation, Infection Control, Incident Reporting, Patient & Staff Safety, Staff Orientation & Training, and Staff Education. Coordinate services and provides leadership for designated area. Actively take a leadership role in planning, organizing, directing and coordinating the operational and clinical activities of assigned areas, including staff development, multi-disciplinary committee participations, precepting pathology students, and clinical research. Is responsible for assisting in process improvement plans, business and strategic planning as well as the budgeting process for pathology departments in conjunction with the Director and Business Operations Manager.
- Defines operational standards, organizes department-level activities to achieve optimum service delivery/systems/care/processes and setting high performance objectives for the department. Holds self and others accountable to meet stated objectives, outcomes, goals, timetables and commitments, adhering to standards even in the face of unforeseen circumstances.
- Performance Improvement
- Supports system improvements using rapid cycle improvement teams utilizing the Plan-Do-Check-Act problem solving methodology.
- Develops improvement plans based on identified data, trends and initiates programs for improving performance within own department/service line & across the company.
- Works collaboratively with Managers/Supervisors in identifying opportunities for improvement and in analyzing data effectively. Identifies opportunities with Managers/Supervisors to enhance staff development, services, efficiency and increased customer satisfaction.
- Develops and implements goals, objectives, plans, policies and procedures to achieve desired outcomes.
- Identifies trends, implements improvements and monitors outcomes as they relate to improving quality and safety for patients and their families.
- Collects, organizes and submits necessary workload statistics and reports as requested in a timely manner.
- Supports the risk management process of identifying and analyzing incident reports in a manner to reduce patient or staff injury.
- Develops, implements and evaluates evidence based protocols for infection control practices.
- Continuous Accreditation
- Meets accreditation and regulatory requirements and assures continued survey readiness. Maintains documentation, tracking and reporting systems for compliance with CAP, CLIA, and Joint Commission.
- Serves as primary contact for communication between the organization and regulatory bodies. Prepares official documents for regulatory bodies. Responsible for maintaining and updating all company policies and procedures as needed.
- Coordinates operational and clinical activities of the pathology department with other departments of the hospital. These include education, policy and procedure development/review and quality assurance activities. Actively participates in organization/department wide committees as assigned.
- Communicates effectively to promote interdepartmental collaboration, planning and achievement of Children s Pathology Department.
- Facilitates complex problem solving throughout the organization by collaborating with department managers and through development of staff to initiate problem-solving behavior.
- Manages medical laboratory scientists, path techs, anatomic pathology technicians, phlebotomists and other laboratory support personnel. Responsible for evaluating and revising job description and competencies in accordance with departmental and hospital goals.
- Personnel Management
- Prioritizes and coordinates daily work activities. Provides leadership and guidance by sharing expertise with others. Approves schedules and monitors time worked.
- Trains and/or oversees the training of employees on job related tasks.
- Conducts employee performance management duties including completion and delivery of performance evaluations, setting goals, dissemination of information, coaching, addressing performance issues/routine correction actions, and recommending termination of employment.
- Submits notifications for personnel actions (e.g., status changes, terminations).
- May participate in selection, hiring, and salary recommendations.
- Operational/Financial Management
- Analyzes processes and procedures and makes recommendations and/or decisions on guidelines for daily processes/activities within department. May recommend policy changes related to the department. Implements new or revised policies, processes, and procedures within the work area.
- Applies business and management expertise to identify problems/opportunities, determine solutions, and measure results.
- Ensures compliance with quality assurance, safety practices, policies, regulatory, and legal requirements.
- May assist with the development and maintenance of policies and procedures.
- May participate in the implementation of business plans for the area.
- May assist with annual budget by tracking expenses and providing input for future budget needs. Assists with monitoring budget variances within the department.
- Staff development
- Identifies opportunities for managers within the company to enhance staff development.
- Plans, implements, and directs new hire orientation and training. Works collaboratively with department managers/supervisors to provide ongoing orientation and training and skills development.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Must have excellent organization and communication skills
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor s degree from an accredited college or university in Medical Laboratory Science or related field, which includes a one-year internship in an approved clinical laboratory required.
- Minimum 5 years clinical laboratory experience to fulfill CLIA regulations required.
- Minimum 3 years supervisory or lead experience required.
- Current and valid Medical Lab Scientist (MLS) or equivalent certification with the American Society of Clinical Pathology or other equivalent certifying agency required
Children's Hospital & Medical Center - Omaha