We re searching for a Patient Access Specialist to facilitate quality customer service by greeting patients/families, coordinating the flow of traffic and phone calls, procuring registration information, ensuring that medical forms are completed and signed, assisting with clerical duties for the clinic, cashiering, and insuring efficient and productive operation of the front desk area allowing for the smooth admission/discharge of patients to/from the clinic which will provide a positive/professional experience for the patient/family.
- Collects and records patient information for the registration process in an accurate and timely manner.
- Instructs patient/family member on completion of registration forms-new patient information, and consent to treat.
- Obtains and witnesses appropriate authorization for medical treatment and assignment of benefits from parent (s) or legal guardian.
- Obtains complete demographic and insurance information and enters accurately in the computer.
- Copies insurance card, obtains co-pay as indicated, and calls for preauthorization if needed.
- Readies all paperwork necessary for patient s visit to include patient name, demographic information, MRN, and current date.
- Maintains patient log.
- Upon discharge, enters patient charges, and discharges patient in computer.
- Photocopies information for the business office. Prepares necessary paperwork and sends to the business office as requested.
- Prepares charts and sends to medical records each day.
- Faxes records in accordance with hospital/department policies and procedures.
- Performs receptionist duties for the department, ensuring quality customer service to include the following:
- Projects a patient friendly demeanor, always cheerful, caring, and responsive to patients, families, peers, other hospital departments, and outside agencies.
- Using tact, courtesy, and good judgement when greeting all patients/family members whom arrive at the desk, or call on the telephone.
- Serves as a resource to telephone callers by utilizing established hospital/department communications and handling calls, transferring calls, or taking messages.
- Screens patients/family members for communicable diseases.
- Maintains a clean and orderly work area in order to present a professional image and present a positive First impression to all.
- Notifies appropriate person(s) of any equipment malfunctions.
- Resolves computer related problems through troubleshooting or by contacting appropriate person(s).
- Monitoring supplies in reception area, and notifying manager when supplies are becoming low.
- Oversees waiting area, and picks up toys, magazines, etc. as needed.
- Monitors TV to ensure that program on is child friendly.
- Leaves reception area clean and tidy at the end of shift.
- Regular attendance at work is an essential function of the job.
- Perform physical requirements as described in the Physical Requirements section
. KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Ability to prioritize
- Ability to be self-organized and handle multiple tasks simultaneously without showing signs of stress.
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Knowledge of interpersonal skills
- Ability to communicate effectively with all age groups
- Skill in typing and usage of computer
- Completes formal orientation program
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- High school diploma or GED equivalent preferred or equivalent ability to read, write and follow oral and written directions.
- Knowledge of medical terminology preferred
- Previous medical reception and/or public relations experience preferred
Ref CL 9980.1
Children's Hospital & Medical Center - Omaha