We re searching for a RN for the Short Stay Unit, a 14-bed unit caring for pediatric patients of all ages with an acute medical illness or condition requiring brief hospitalization of 24 hours or less. If you are passionate about providing premier pediatric care, there s no better place than Children s. Our magnet-designated facility is growing and hiring registered nurses who will enjoy autonomy, the respect of our world-class physicians and career advancement opportunities.
We offer a Transition to Pediatric Nursing: Adult to Pediatric Nursing program for nurses with a BSN who have worked a minimum of one year with adults. The program is designed to teach you everything you need to know about pediatric nursing and culminates in eligibility for national certification as a pediatric RN.
- Conducts individualized age-specific patient/family assessments according to defined unit scope and nursing practice standards, appropriate collaborative problems (CPG's)/nursing diagnoses(ND's), or protocols. (Individualized refers to the patient s developmental, cognitive, cultural, psychosocial, spiritual, and educational/family influences and physical/medical care needs.)
- Collects and documents data related to patient s individualized care.
- Demonstrates age-specific competency in assessment of patients by the ability to obtain and interpret information in terms of the patient needs, knowledge of growth and development, and understanding of the range of treatment needed by these patients.
- Assesses patient/family need for education and uses an individualized approach in delivery style.
- Assesses family expectations for, and involvement in the assessment and continuous care or treatment of the patient.
- Identifies nursing diagnoses, collaborative problems, and/or protocols for each patient, based on assessment, at the time of admission.
- Performs reassessment based on unit standards, CPG's/ND's, protocols and changes in patient condition. Communicates changes to appropriate persons (MD, Supervisor, family) as indicated
- Develops individualized patient/family plan of care using CPG/ND s, and practice guidelines/protocols to meet identified needs. (Plan of Care includes current and anticipated actions focused on care, education, discharge needs.)
- Utilizes assessment data from the healthcare team to individualize appropriate goals and actions for the patient, including collaboration with the family and the healthcare team.
- Utilizes individualized assessment data to develop the patient/family s plan of care.
- Formulates goals and outcomes based on assessment data.
- Revises plan of care based on patient s condition, interdisciplinary input, and family needs.
- Demonstrates ability to prioritize patient interventions based on assessments/reassessments. Uses available child care partners to support patient care needs as appropriate.
- Implements and evaluates nursing actions in accordance with the individualized patient/family plan of care and patient condition/needs.
- Oversees that the nursing and interdisciplinary plan of care/goals are coordinated, implemented, evaluated, and revised as needed. Identifies the need for interdisciplinary involvement/outside resources and follows through. Uses appropriate resources (Charge RN, CNS/Educator, PCM, MD, etc) to ensure that clinical outcomes are achieved.
- Incorporates critical thinking into the delivery of clinical skills and in analyzing patient response to orders, tests, labs, medications, and treatments.
- Demonstrates clinical competence in administering interventions according to identified standards and age specific needs.
- Provides and/or coordinates with other disciplines patient/family education according to identified care needs, considering assessment of patient/family s readiness to learn
- Documentation reflects accurate assessment/evaluation, modification, and patient s response to therapy, changes in condition, and therapeutic interventions/procedures.
- Entries in the medical record follow hospital policy (i.e., date, time, use of appropriate abbreviations, and legibility).
- Documentation is completed within established timeframes including, but not limited to: Admission Assessment form, daily Patient Flowsheet, Peripheral IV Flowsheet, Family Education Record, and Interdisciplinary Goals.
- Reviews and updates computerized careplan to accurately reflect the plan of care.
- Completes computerized documentation within established timeframes, including, but not limited to: Medication Administration Record, Allergies, Patient Information, etc.
- Completes and verifies accurate order entry in the computerized careplan.
- Ensures that discharge instructions clearly state patient care needs after discharge.
- Accepts assignments to float to other units utilizing clinical skill sets and appropriate resources, delegating when appropriate. Professionally supports the assigned unit, as seen through interactions with patients, families, area staff, colleagues and others.
- Accepts assignment to mentor student nurse observation experience in unit.
- Accepts assignments to share/teach knowledge and provide clinical support as a relief preceptor for new staff.
- Professionally seeks opportunities to help teammates during shift as needed.
- Accepts and completes other assigned tasks in a professional manner.
- If designated relief Charge RN, add competencies Addendum A.
- If designated compensated preceptor, add competencies Addendum B
- Must be able to perform a variety of duties, often changing from one task to another of a different nature, without loss of efficiency or composure, and be able to perform under stressful conditions when confronted with multiple requests, demonstrating prioritizing skills.
- Diploma, Associates, or Bachelor s degree from an accredited school of nursing required
- Minimum 1 year of RN experience required
- Experience with pediatric patients preferred.
- Previous experience with EPIC preferred.
- Current and valid Nebraska RN license/RN Compact license required.
- Current and valid Basic Life Support (BLS) through the American Heart Association is required.
SPECIAL JOB REQUIREMENTS
- Current and valid certification in nursing specialty preferred
- Certified Pediatric Nurse certification preferred.
Children's Hospital & Medical Center - Omaha