- OPERATIONS: ensures efficient and effective day to day operations of the designated service lines.
- Integrates the service line across organization; including inpatient and outpatient departments, ancillary and support services, Children’s executive leadership, physicians, and external healthcare partners.
- Oversight for responsible resource management across the service line
- Program Development: Develops, implements, evaluates and/or revises programs/standards based on departmental and organizational philosophy and objectives
- Directs and participates in a variety of functional and operational management in alignment with the strategic objectives for the Service Line and Children’s Hospital & Medical Center
- Ensures that all service line operations are consistent with applicable Children’s policies
- Ensures that all service line operations are in compliance with federal, state, healthcare and other accrediting/regulatory bodies.
- Develops and identifies areas of improvement of hospital, department, and service standards of care, policies and procedures
- FINANCIAL OVERSIGHT / CONTROL
- Utilizes sound methods of financial planning, responsible business and resource management
- Establishes and monitors the expense, salary and capital budgets for the service line. Develops corrective action plans, on a monthly basis, for any variance from the budget.
- EXPENSE MANAGEMENT: With support of dedicated service line financial analyst, and in collaboration with division chief, is accountable for expense management of all service line resources.
- REVENUE MANAGEMENT: Collaborates with CBO to ensure accurate coding of services provided and develops comparative analysis of charge activity.
- CAPITAL MANAGEMENT: In collaboration with division chiefs, is accountable for capital request and management process for service line areas of responsibility.
- FOUNDATION: Collaborates with Foundation leadership to develop appropriate promotional materials and to identify/support fund raising opportunities, and to optimize any grant funding opportunities available to enhance the mission and vision of Children’s within the service line.
- PERFORMANCE REPORTING / SERVICVE LINE METRICS
- Develops, directs, implements, and evaluates departmental operations consistent with the organization’s commitment to continuous quality improvement in patient care, consistent with appropriate budgetary parameters
- Measures service line performance, including quantitative and qualitative measures of success and acts upon results
- Monitors patient experience through systems analysis, monitoring and analyzing quarterly patient satisfaction reports, following up on complaints and resolving issues
- Promotes and implements patient centric practices in and across the service line, looks for operations opportunities to engage patients and families as partners in the care.
- SUPPORT SYSTEMS & SERVICES
- Supply chain: collaborates with supply chain leadership to ensure responsible resource management
- Marketing: works in collaboration with marketing leadership to tell the story of and grow the service line within the community and across the region.
- IT: Develops and executes plans for information service needs to include database development and teleconferencing in conjunction with the VP Pediatrics, service line division chiefs and Children’s Information Technology Department.
- Liaison to Radiology / Lab / Pharmacy and all other support and ancillary department leadership to achieve goals of service line
- COLLABORATION & COMMUNICATION
- Serves on selected committees for system initiatives
- Facilitates communication and builds positive relationships with physicians, hospital leadership, and all key stakeholders
- Collaborates and maintains frequent interaction with executive leadership to assess programs, establish operational goals, prioritize and implement key initiatives
- Ensures optimal, clear and continuous communication with service line leaders, team members and all internal and external services/personnel.
- Works collaboratively/acts as a liaison between the service line and other services, departments and institutions.
- Establishes positive relationships and excellent communication channels with referring physicians.
- STAFF MANAGEMENT & LEADERSHIP
- Coordinates and collaborates with Children’s leadership team in the recruitment, selection, retention and development of staff within the service line.
- Evaluates overall effectiveness of staff job performance including skills in communication, team building, problem-solving and decision making outcomes.
- Monitors retention and turnover data to identify issues and problems that may affect recruitment and retention and initiates action for resolution with the appropriate groups.
- Communicates and models the mission of Children’s in the recruitment, development, evaluation and compensation of staff.
- Facilitates staff/management development with focus on promoting staff engagement.
- Identifies opportunities for coaching and career development with employees within area of responsibility.
- Promotes and monitors participation of staff in in-service programs within the organization and at the departmental level.
- Initiates and/or collaborates in the development of continuing education programs to advance the knowledge and expertise of the staff in the specific specialty areas.
- Provides leadership and serves as a role model to staff and other hospital leaders by modeling I-Accountability principles and by setting expectations of staff.
- Shares Responsibility with Physician Partners for:
- Upholding the Mission Vision and Values of Children’s in all service line endeavors
- Developing and growing a positive culture within and across the service line and organizational partners
- Physician and staff recruitment
- Financial and budgetary oversight of service line
- Accountability for clinical processes, quality, utilization management and program development
- Setting and Achieving overall performance targets
- Marketing of the service line to the organization, community, and region
- Collaboration and communication to develop and maintain positive internal and external organizational relationships and partnerships
- Support and promotion of educational and research activities of the service line
- Strategic Planning:
- Accountable for achieving outcomes as defined for the service line through development of a comprehensive strategic plan with short and long-term goals. Provide input to hospital strategic plan. Provides direction in identifying new services, growing the service line’s business and increasing its market share.
- Creation and implementation of strategies for service line growth and development consistent with overall organization vision and direction