- In collaboration with physician(s), assesses patient, synthesizes and analyzes data, orders diagnostic tests and therapeutic treatments, and evaluates clinical outcomes.
- Completes an accurate assessment (history and physical examination) of the pediatric patient.
- Syntheses and analyses data obtained through assessment to develop a comprehensive plan of care that is individualized and reflects patient care needs and includes interventions and treatments to attain expected outcomes.
- Implements plan by writing appropriate medical orders.
- Uses jointly approved protocols appropriately, if required.
- Evaluates and revises plan as indicated by changes in patient condition or needs.
- Communicates medical plan to caregivers, staff members and physicians.
- Demonstrates proper use of laboratory and x-ray to assist in diagnosis and interprets results correctly.
- Demonstrates understanding of caregiver dynamics involved in the ill pediatric patient.
- Utilizes the nursing process to meet the development and psychosocial needs of the pediatric patient/caregiver.
- Assesses the educational needs of patients/caregivers and develops/implements the educational plan in collaboration with other healthcare professionals.
- Prescribes controlled substances related to the patient’s health conditions within the scope of practice of the advanced practice registered nurse and according to state statutes.
- Responds appropriately in crisis situations or life-threatening emergencies.
- Uses sound medical/clinical judgment during care for the pediatric patient.
- Consults/collaborates with physicians as indicated.
- Uses jointly approved protocols to guide decision making, if required.
- Stays within Scope of Practice.
- Documents assessments, plan of care, interventions and patient response to treatment.
- Assumes leadership role to establish and monitor standards of practice to improve patient care including recommending ways to improve clinical practice, participation in related educational activities, utilizes and/or participates in research, participation in professional organizations and performance improvement teams, and incorporation of new clinical information into practice.
- Serves as a role model for staff by facilitating, supporting, mentoring, taking initiative, and practicing proactive problem solving.
- Serves as a reliable and visible resource for staff.
- Conducts or utilizes research and new clinical information to recommend ways to improve clinical practice.
- Participates in educational activities and networking related to practice.
- Seeks experiences and learning opportunities related to practice.
- Participates in professional organizations.
- Serves on Performance Improvement teams as needed.
- Assures that clinical practice meets national standards of pediatric healthcare.
- Coordinates project or program development and effective implementation
- Prescribes therapeutic measures and medications according to the State of Nebraska APRN/NP Statutes. Performs select invasive
procedures, as approved in his/her individualized Scope of Service, according to Children’s Hospital policy.
- Dispenses, incident to practice only, sample medications, which are provided by the manufacturer and are provided at no charge to the patient.
- Prescribes therapeutic measures and medications, except controlled substances listed as Schedule II, related to health conditions within scope of practice.
- Prescribes controlled substances listed as Schedule II, used as pain control for a maximum seventy-two hour supply, if subsequent renewal is required, such prescription is done by the physician.
- Directs other team members in the delivery of patient care as determined by the needs of the patient.