The Jewelry Appraiser (Graduate Gemologist) writes accurate and professional appraisals of jewelry items for Borsheims customers. Establishes values for outside appraisal items using Borsheims pricing guidelines. Begins writing outside appraisals for complex items. Communicates with co-workers, customers, and insurance company representatives regarding appraisal details. Sorts and identifies diamonds and colored stones returned from scrap melt program.
- Graduate Gemologist Certification required
- 1-3 years of appraisal experience is a plus but not required
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Prepares formal appraisals, Jewelry Identification Reports (JIR) and Watch Identification Reports (WIR) of all jewelry/watch items purchased from Borsheims. Identifies and grades stones, and conducts tests on stones and metals; uses gemological tools such as leverage gauge, microscope, loupe, refractometer, polariscope, diamond light, UV lamp, scales, lab book reference material, etc., as required for proper gem identification.
- Assists other associates and customers, in person or via phone, with inquiries, requests, and problems and follows through appropriately.
- Assists sales associates in identifying color, cut, clarity, weight, product description etc. for appraisal notes and JIRs/WIRs.
- Assists customers bringing in items for outside appraisal. Answers customer inquiries concerning Borsheims appraisal procedures. Communicates the amount of time necessary to complete an outside appraisal depending upon the complexity and the number of items.
- Establishes values for outside appraisal items using Borsheims pricing guidelines. Begins writing outside appraisals for complex items, staying within limits of grading ability and experience.
- Updates previous appraisals (inside and outside). Investigates and analyzes computer data, bill of sale documents, verifies merchandise, and determines new values. Updates name changes, address changes, name transfers to new owners, etc. Communicates any appraisal variances to sales associate, customer service associate or customer directly.
- Assists distribution and customer service by reviewing incoming jobs, retrieving and researching information. Processes trade-in scrap gold/silver jobs. Identifies metal, weight, counts pieces, and bags merchandise per karatatge. Calculates trade-in/cash values.
- Prepares formal trade-in documentation. Estimates and calculates trade-in merchandise. Enters data regarding grade, trade values, customer information, etc. Ensures trade-in merchandise is not damaged and verifies merchandise matches trade information.
- Assists jewelers and associates with questions and requests regarding loose diamonds and colored stones needed for job development and/or completion. Matches type, size, shape, and color of gemstones according to job instructions. Notes stone details, costs and price for final processing. Updates job record and computer data with appropriate information.
- Assists in maintaining inventory of diamonds and colored stones for repair and fabrication of jewelry. Cleans, sieves, grades, identifies and parcels incoming diamonds and colored stones from scrap melt refining. Removes damaged/undesirable goods. Parcels stones based on established grade categories. Works with jewelry buyers to utilize acceptable diamond and colored stone goods in Borsheims product.
- Develops knowledge of industry and gemological changes by attending training classes and reviewing trade information and updates.
- Communicates with insurance companies regarding items appraised. Verifies values and estimates replacement possibilities.
- Follows proper procedures for maintaining, storing, and eliminating all chemical solutions associated with required work. Follows SAS chemical and equipment safety procedures.
- Performs other related duties as requested by manager.
Essential Job Functions:
- Ability to work assigned schedule on a regular basis.
- Ability to communicate with customers, co-workers, and business contacts in a courteous and professional manner.
- Ability to see well enough to read small print, identifies merchandise and judge clarity and color grade of diamonds and colored stones, and read a computer screen.
- Ability to hear and speak well enough to converse with others in person, via telephone and paging system.
- Ability to move about the store from department to department, get behind narrow counter areas, and bend down or reach up into drawers/shelves.
- Dexterity to write in small print, to hold on to and use all appraisal tools and gemological testing equipment, and handle small jewelry items while grading.
- Stamina to sit for over eight hours and focus on small detailed work.
- Ability to work in a shop environment i.e. elevated noise, minor dust, etc.
- Ability to work with ultraviolet fluorescence and refractive index liquid.
Borsheims offers an excellent BENEFITS package that includes:
- Medical/Dental/Vision/Life Insurance
- Flexible Spending Account
- Wellness Program
- Vacation & Holiday Pay
- Regular Weekly Schedule
- Closed on Sundays/No Late Nights
- Incredible Employee Discount
- Service Awards
- Promote From Within
- Ongoing Education & Training