Staffing Request: Instructional Designer
Requested By: Doug Smith, Director of Learning & Engagement
COE: Human Resources, Learning & Engagement
Position Status: Full-time Employee
Reports to: Director of Learning & Engagement
Supervises: No supervisory responsibilities.
We are looking for a professional Instructional Designer to design and develop learning and practicing experiences. The goal is to facilitate learners in acquiring knowledge, skills and competencies in an effective and appealing manner.
- Create engaging learning activities and compelling course content, exercises and activities that enhances retention and transfer
- Work with subject matter experts and identify target audience’s training needs
- State instructional end goals and create content that matches them
- Visualize instructional graphics, the user interface and the finished product
- Conduct instructional research and analysis on learners and contexts
- Apply tested instructional design theories, practice and methods
- Create supporting material/media (audio, video, simulations, role plays, games etc.)
- Maintain project documentation and course folders
- Collaborates with company leaders and employees on instructional design issues, creates customized web-based instructional elements, and manages online course development.
- Consults with individual or groups of employees on optimal design of online courses and/or programs and effective uses of multimedia for instruction.
- Manages development projects from inception to completion.
- Designs and supervises production of learning objects in a variety of formats including print, graphics, audio, video, and animation technologies to support online coursework and programs.
- Provides professional and technical support/training to employees.
- Attends appropriate conferences and seminars to maintain an up-to-date knowledge base of new instructional software and pedagogical techniques.
- Presents on topics related to distance learning, technology and course design at state, regional, or national meetings.
- Serves on enterprise wide committees, as needed.
- Performs other duties as requested.
- Proven working experience in instructional design and with instructional technology
- Excellent knowledge of learning theories and instructional design models
- Lesson and curriculum planning skills
- Basic HTML and Flash programming knowledge
- Solid knowledge of course development software and at least one Learning Management System
- Visual design skills (Adobe Creative Cloud; Articulate 360, Storyline, Studio) and ability to storyboard
- Ability to write effective copy, instructional text, audio scripts/video scripts
- BS or MA degree in instructional design, educational technology or similar
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES - The following are essential:
- Knowledge of modern computing, networking and communications systems.
- Ability to organize and work effectively with an understanding of organizational policies and activities.
- Advanced skills in the use of technology applications.
- Ability to integrate resources, policies and information for the determination of procedures, solutions, and other outcomes.
- Ability to handle multiple and simultaneous tasks.
- Ability to work effectively with a variety of groups.
- Ability to organize work and effectively with an understanding of organizational policies and activities.
- Detail oriented and organized.
- Ability to deal well with ambiguity and fast-paced change.
- Ability to deliver a positive customer service experience.
- Ability to use a personal computer and other office equipment.