A registered professional nurse employed by Erlanger Medical Center is responsible for direct and/or indirect care of the patient. The emergency nurse is responsible for providing age specific care through the assessment, nursing diagnosis, and treatment of perceived, actual or potential, sudden or urgent, physical or psychosocial problems that are primarily episodic or acute. Resolution may require minimal care or life-support measures, patient and family education, appropriate referral, and knowledge of legal implications.
The emergency nurse must interpret the appropriate information needed to identify each patients requirements relative to his or her age-specific needs and to provide the care needed as described in the units policies and procedures.
Registered Nurse graduated from an accredited School of Nursing.
BLS (Health Care Provider)
TNCC and ENPC preferred and required within 1st year of employment.
CEN highly recommended
Two years nursing experience preferred.
One year emergency nursing highly recommended.
Current RN License to practice nursing in the State of Tennessee.
Core Competencies/ Essential Key Functions:
1. Assesses patient holistically, recognizes need for interventions, and implements nursing processes appropriate to meet the patients age specific needs.
Completes a triage assessment on each patient including history, current complaint, current medications, mechanism of injury, and acuity status.
Recognizes normal and abnormal assessment data specific to the patients complaint/diagnosis/age.
Anticipates emergent situations utilizing ABCs and Primary/Secondary Survey and facilitates timely physician evaluation and intervention.
Initiates nursing protocols where appropriate.
Prioritizes patient needs to deliver efficient, age appropriate, nursing care.
2. Functions effectively in the provision of care to the Trauma Patient following established protocols and guidelines.
3. Functions effectively in the provision of care to the cardiovascular patient; initiates Emergency Heart and Stroke protocols as needed when referring patients to the Erlanger Heart Stroke Center
4. Provides a safe environment (i.e. ID bracelets, sharp/medication disposal, checks crash carts, etc.
5. Recognizes normal vital sign range for patient population/age.
Monitors patient vital signs according to department standards and identifies abnormalities.
6. Facilitates patient and family understanding of Emergency Department routine. Updates family throughout their E.D. stay
7. Documents care provided meeting Emergency Department documentation guidelines.
Documents data, which is reflective of patient status & interventions.
8. Provides thorough discharge instructions with applicable teaching tools while evaluating patient/family understanding.