A licensed Medical Technologist performs and develops a wide variety of laboratory procedures requiring independent judgment and using both manual and automated methods.
Bachelor degree with major in biological science or related field plus one year of training in an approved school of Medical Technology or equivalent.
Position Requirement(s): License/Certification/Registration
Licensed as a Medical Technologist by the State of Tennessee Laboratory Licensing Board.
Department Position Summary:
This employee performs chemical, microscopic and bacteriological testing of body fluids to obtain data for diagnosis and treatment of disease under the direction of a team leader. He/she works closely with the Team Leader and team members in an atmosphere of continuous quality improvement. He/she performs duties as assigned by a Team Leader and/or Laboratory Director.
The employee must be able to demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of the patients served in his/her section. The individual must demonstrate knowledge of the principles of growth and development over the life span and possess the ability to assess data reflective of the patients status and interpret the appropriate information needed to identify each patients requirements relative to his/her age specific needs and to provide the care needed as described in the units policies and procedures.
1. Knowledge of and annual review of departmental procedures and guidelines
2. Proficiency of venipuncture or fingerstick specimen collection
3. Knowledge of laboratory information systems
4. Ability to perform patient testing in a timely manner
5. Ability to perform assigned work unsupervised
6. Participates in departmental Continuing Quality Improvement
7. Follows standard Erlanger safety precautions
8. Current with Erlanger in-services and Erlanger training programs
9. Ability to operate office equipment needed to support operations
10. Displays proficiency on C.A.P. surveys as assigned
11. Maintains a clean work area
12. Reports unsafe conditions or inoperative equipment to supervisor and/or appropriate sources for correction
13. Available for work as scheduled, able to flex schedule as needed to maintain appropriate staffing levels
14. Uses appropriate personal skills when interacting with staff and patients
15. Restocks work area as needed to maintain workflow
16. Knowledge of specimen processing and send-out testing