The Central Sterile Specialist functions in the decontamination and sterile processing area with responsibilities of practicing the principles of aseptic technique. The CSS must be able to perform functions in Decontamination, Instrument assembly, and sterilization of instrumentation. Perform decontamination functions by manual and washer decontaminator cleaning. Assembly of instrumentation, wrapping and sterilization functions. The CSS Must be able to demonstrate the ability to work in a fast paced environment as a team member, lead by supervision.
Required High School graduate or G.E.D. equivalent.
Preferred: High School graduate or G.E.D. equivalent with completion of a CS training program or graduate from an accredited Surgical Technologist program.
Preferred: Certified Central Sterile Specialists with previous instrumentation experience with trauma or full services provider
Position Requirement(s): License/Certification/Registration
Current Certification as a Central Sterile Specialist, maintained by: (IAHCSMM or CSPD) or have obtained from two years of hire date.
Department Position Summary:
1. Must be able to practice principles of aseptic technique.
2. Able to follow written and oral instruction.
3. Communicates effectively, pleasantly and tactfully with all customer populations
4. Must demonstrate knowledge of organizational guidelines and procedures.
5. Knowledge of surgical instruments, heat sealers, and biological testing.
6. Knowledge of Steam, Ethylene Oxide, Steris System One and Hydrogen Peroxide Gas Plasma sterilizers
7. Demonstrates a desire to accomplish job assignments with high quality standards
8. Demonstrates ability to work in high stress, high noise environment
9. Practices standard precautions in their daily work assignments.
10. Must possess ability to follow instructions and perform assignments in an acceptable manner
11. Must possess ability to work under supervision.
12. Must possess effective writing skills translatable to appropriate operative
13. Communications with all members of the health care team involved in the delivery of effective patient care.
14. Must possess the ability to cooperate with supervisor and peers as a team player.
15. Must have the ability to operate devices such as computers and telephones and sterilization equipment.
Mission: To improve the health of people we touch
Vision: To be recognized locally, regionally and nationally as a premier health system
R.E.S.P.E.C.T.: We will fulfill the mission and vision by adhering to the Standards of R.E.S.P.E.C.T.