Perform quality control tests on concrete materials and plastic and hardened concrete. These tests include but are not limited to slump, air content, and mix temperature; unit weight, yield, and moisture calculations, gradations of aggregates, specific gravities, casting of beams and cylinders, and the flexural and compressive testing of these cast samples.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Confers with plant managers and production personnel to establish project schedules according to factors such as truck capacities, distances to delivery site, and unloading time.
- Communicates with Quality Control Manager on issues affecting concrete industry, personnel, safety, equipment maintenance, upcoming projects, and competition.
- Performs aggregate, admixture, cement, and associated products testing including; sieve analysis, specific gravities, etc.
- Performs control tests on new mix designs and concrete materials in the plastic and hardened concrete state including; slump, air content, temperature, unit weight, yield, moisture and gradation of aggregates, specific gravities and cast strength specimens.
- Assists QC Manager with the design of all concrete mix specifications.
- Develop and maintain professional relationships with QC Manager, Plant Managers, in-house testing personnel, state and local testing labs, existing and new customers.
- Spot check raw material stockpiles for segregation and inter-mingling or contamination of the various aggregates.
- Check scales, proportioning equipment, central and transit mixers, and revolution counters that they are properly functioning and to ensure drums are turning at the correct RPM’s.
- Monitor all DOT & FAA certified inspection work including large commercial and special project work.
- Trouble shoots product issues in the field with plant manager and QC Manager and assist with problem resolution for customer upon approval from QC Manager.
- Keep reports and record keeping up to date.
- Assist QC Manager with training, certification, and recertification testing for plant technicians.
- Perform other duties as defined by QC Manager.
Education and/or Experience:
Associate’s degree in Construction Technology, Civil Engineering or equivalent of two years OJT in related experience and/or training. Must have ACI Field Testing Technician Level I Certification, NDOR Plant Inspector Certification, and IDOT Level PCC2 Technician Certification.