Educational Service Unit #3 is seeking special education paraeducators for the 2020-2021 school year at Brook Valley, a referral-based school serving students in Cass, Douglas, Sarpy and Washington counties. Interested candidates should be team-focused individuals with a desire to impact student learning and assist in the educational process. Experience interacting with K-12 children and youth is preferred, but not required. A personal commitment to working in a caring environment with opportunities to help students reach their full potential is essential. Hours are 8:45 a.m. to 2:15 p.m. Starting pay is $13.25 per hour. This position is subject to a veterans preference.
BROOK VALLEY SCHOOL
Job Title: Paraprofessional for the Brook Valley Special Education Program
Job Code: 7121
Department: Student Services, ESU #3
FLSA Status: Non Exempt
Immediate Supervisor: Classroom Teacher and Building Principal
People Supervised: None
Number of Days Worked: Works 181 calendar days for students and training. 8:45 am – 2:15 pm
General Responsibilities: To assist the teacher and student with daily activities in the classroom.
1. No history of child abuse or negligence.
2. Minimum of a high school diploma.
3. Successfully pass required background checks.
4. Regular and dependable in-person attendance is required.
1. Assists with classroom arrangements;
2. Maintains the daily routine and assists the teacher, Speech Language
Pathologist, and other professionals in carrying out planned activities;
3. Gathers and prepares the materials for individual students or centers under
the direction of the classroom teachers;
4. Provides input regarding daily child observations;
5. Responds to class needs as the teachers work with students on an individual
6. Works with students on learning tasks and activities as directed by the
7. Assists with general housekeeping tasks in the room;
8. Assists students with activities of daily living or functional living skills when necessary and supports health related activities.
9. Participates with in-service training and staff development as requested;
10. Becomes familiar with and implements universal health precautions to
ensure a safe environment for children and adults;
11. Provides own transportation to fulfill responsibilities of position;
12. Understand and comply with the ESU #3 Board of Education Personnel Policies and Employee Handbook;
13. Understand and comply with Brook Valley School Educational Policies, Philosophies and Student Handbook.
14. Demonstrate professional conduct, maintain confidentiality and pursue professional growth;
15. Communicate areas of concern to classroom teacher;
16. Perform other duties as assigned.
At Will Employment: Employment with ESU#3 is not for any period of time, and employment may be terminated at any time at the convenience of the terminating party, with or without cause, and with or without notice. Employment with ESU #3 is not governed by any express or implied contract of employment containing terms different from or inconsistent with those stated in this job description. The terms of this job description may not be modified except in a writing signed by the ESU #3 Administrator.
Para Educators employed at Brook Valley School must be fully capable of performing each of the ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES set forth above as well as each of the ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS set forth in Exhibit A attached hereto at all times of employment. Staff that are not fully capable of performing 100 percent of the ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES and ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL RESPONSIBILITIES cannot return to work until they can demonstrate they are fully capable of performing each of the ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES and ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS according to a doctor or other person qualified to make that determination and agreed to by the ESU #3 Administrator. This is for the safety of the employee due to the nature of the students in the classroom.
The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. Responsibilities and duties assigned are at the discretion of the supervisor.
Educational Service Unit #3