In 2020, MD West ONE and Methodist Orthopedics united as the most comprehensive head-to-toe musculoskeletal and nervous system practice in the region. Our depth in orthopedic, neurosurgery and spine specialized care allows our patients to be seen under ONE versatile, collaborative entity.
We are looking for a detail-oriented, flexible Billing Specialist. This is a full-time position, Monday through Friday between the hours of 8:30a - 5:00p. The ideal candidate thrives in a fast-paced work environment and is comfortable juggling multiple tasks.
I. Summary of Position
A. Under the general and direct supervision Business Manager.
B. Provides CPT Coding, billing, clerical, chart audit, secretarial, scheduling support for the clinic, independently, and with minimum supervision. Performs other diverse duties as requested and/or required.
A. Performs follow up phone calls and/or resubmission of insurance claims on a 45 day follow up period. Report to manager any questions/concerns in getting claims processed.
B. Maintains responsibility for general secretarial support functions to ensure efficient utilization of time; performs chart audits, clean claim submission, procedure and payment posting, insurance denial follow up, electronic claim administration, patient appointments; and other duties as assigned.
C. Screens and refers incoming phone calls to ensure that accurate and timely communication is facilitated and that the clinic is presented in a positive manner.
D. Maintains ongoing communications and efficient clinic operations.
E. Maintains appropriate clinic records and scanning to ensure the expeditious retrieval of information so the clinic may run efficiently.
F. Demonstrates regard for the dignity and respect of all patients, family members, medical staff, visitors, and clinic personnel.
G. Maintains proper attendance and punctuality to ensure that the clinic is operated in an efficient and cost-effective manner.
H. Performs housekeeping duties in his/her area by routine and periodic cleaning; maintains order and cleanliness throughout the clinic.
I. Answers telephone in a courteous, helpful manner, always identifying themselves by name.
J. Uses spare time in work-related activities that contribute to the clinic’s needs.
K. Coordinates efforts to work effectively with others in a manner that is productive.
L. Can be depended upon to modify work schedule as required by the clinic.
M. Interacts with fellow employees in a way that promotes harmonious and cooperative working environment.
III. Physical Demands
A. Able to tolerate intermittent physical activity, including sitting, walking, standing, stooping, carrying, talking, seeing, bending, handling; has good color vision and speed. The degree to which any of these is done depends on the techniques being used.
B. Must have sufficient freedom of total body movement in order to stand up and sit down at work station; be able to squat and/or stoop in order to lift at least a 25-pound box of paper or lift a 25-pound stack of charts. Must possess the physical traits to remain sedentary for most of the day performing clerical duties. Must be able to reach for files/charts above shoulder height.
C. Must have sufficient ability to be able to type on a computer. Must have sufficient hearing ability to be able to answer telephone calls and be able to respond to any alarms that go off unannounced within the clinic.
A. Must have coordination of sight and body movements for various applications of procedures and have the ability to handle to tools and equipment of the profession.
B. Must have sufficient arm and hand movement with dexterity of finger and wrist to type at a speed of 40 words per minute with 98 percent accuracy with a word processor (computer).
V. Mental Abilities
A. Must be able to follow verbal and written instructions.
B. Must be able to organize workload to determine priority of duties.
C. Must be able to work in a small office with stress factors of telephone calls, noise generated by computer printers, and multiple tasks needing to be performed at the same time.
VI. Worker Characteristics
A. Must be thoughtful of others, gentle, courteous, patient, neat, well groomed, healthy, tactful, friendly, of average intelligence, and with a good memory. Must have the ability to organize his/her time.
B. Must be able to communicate effectively and tactfully with others within the clinic and especially with the public.
C. Must be of good moral character and have a pleasing personality.
D. Must practice basic rules of personal hygiene and personal appearance.
VII. Working Conditions
A. Works inside under normal temperature conditions, with adequate light, ventilation and space. Works mostly with others, occasionally alone. Must expect moderate noise from equipment and instruction of patients.
A. No unusual hazard risks.
B. Exposure to various chemical agents typically used in an office setting.
A. Education and Training
1. Should be a high school graduate or equivalent, in order to have mature reasoning ability required in this clinic.
2. Must have superficial knowledge of the reasons for patient care as administered in the clinic. Some knowledge of physiology, anatomy, neurology, and medical terminology is desirable and helpful but is not necessary.
3. Must possess a basic proficiency in English, spelling, and arithmetic.
4. Must be able to pay attention to details.
5. Must be able to type 40 words per minutes with 98 percent accuracy.
6. Must maintain CPC credential.
X. Performance Requirements
1. Care of equipment, machines, supplies, safety and welfare of the patient; prevention of unnecessary expense, waste, loss of time and damage to equipment; order and cleanliness of the clinic.
1. Must be familiar with cleaning agents and methods; physical layout of the clinic; techniques of processing/registering patients; surgery and diagnostic test scheduling, clinic policies, procedures and regulations; operations of office equipment.
1. Must possess skill in the techniques of patient relations, efficiently assisting in the processing/registration of patients; be competent in greeting patients and answering questions regarding appointments and scheduling. Speak intelligently and in a professional manner.
D. Mental Application
1. Must be willing to work under direction and take instructions and corrections; have the ability to reason and remember names and details of instructions; be alert, adaptable, and flexible.
1. Must possess a high degree of accuracy for the performance of job related tasks and functions.
XI. Nonperformance Requirements
A. Job Relationships
1. Promotion from: (There is no direct line of promotion).
2. Promotion to: (There is no direct line of promotion).
B. Source of Workers
1. Employment agencies, newspaper ads.
C. Supervised by
1. Business Manager
D. Policies and Procedures
1. Keeps current on and adheres to all policies and procedures as enumerated in the Policy and Procedure Manual
F. Clinic Performance Improvement Plan
1. Actively participates in the overall clinic performance improvement plans.
Why MD West ONE?
MD West ONE offers a competitive salary and fantastic benefits package, including:
- Two medical plans and networks to fit you and your family's needs
- Employer-paid family dental insurance, short term disability, and group life/AD&D policy
- Generous PTO accumulation
- Reimbursement for MD West ONE medical services for employees and their families
- Robust 401(k) plan
MD West ONE provides equal employment opportunity to and will not discriminate against applicants or employees on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, disability, marital status, genetic information, or because of past, current or future military obligations or status, or on any other basis protected under federal, state or local laws, regulations or ordinances. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, without limitation, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.