The primary purpose of this position is to perform a limited range of magnetic particle, liquid penetrant, and eddy current methods of nondestructive testing; and apply basic ultrasonic and radiography nondestructive testing techniques to detect the relevancy of flaws in routine and less complex components, parts, and materials in accordance with detailed and simple guidelines and instructions. This position has promotion potential to the WG-10 grade level. Incumbent must successfully complete all necessary requirements prior to being promoted to the WG-10 level. This is a WG-08 trainee position under the Target Promotion Program (TPP) with full performance level to the WG-10. The incumbent will receive formal, informal, and/or on-the-job training and may be non-competitively promoted to the next grade.
- Inspects components, parts, and materials by applying a limited range of eddy current and basic range of radiographic inspection techniques established by the inspection guidelines.
- Applies magnetic particle and/or liquid penetrant inspection to detect flaws in simple routine parts.
- Uses and maintains tools.
- Utilizes safety practices and procedures following established safety rules and regulations to maintain a safe and clean work environment.
- Maintains time and attendance procedures in accordance with the Depot Maintenance Accounting and Production System (DMAPS) guidelines.
- Works to achieve and support quality improvement in all products and services.
EXPERIENCE: Applicants will be rated in accordance with the OPM Qualification Standard Handbook X-118C; for additional information click here. Although a specific length of time and experience is not required for most trade and labor occupations, you must meet any screen-out element(s) listed, and show through experience and training that you possess the quality level of knowledge and skill necessary to perform the duties of the position at the level for which applying. Qualification requirements emphasis is on the quality of experience, not necessarily the length of time.
The screen out element for this position is ability to do the work position without more than normal supervision.
Job Elements: Your qualifications will be evaluated on the basis of your level of knowledge, skills, abilities and/or competencies in the following areas:
Ability to do the work position without more than normal supervision (Screen-out Element 1).
Technical Practices (Theoretical, precise, artistic) (Job Element 25-E)
Use of Measuring Instruments (Job Element 60)
Ability to Interpret Instructions, Specification, etc. (other than blueprinting reading) (Job Element 75-B)
Ability to Use and Maintain Tools and Equipment. (Job Element 81)
Knowledge of Metals (Job Element 82-B)
Dexterity and Safety (Job Element 86)
PART-TIME OR UNPAID EXPERIENCE: Credit will be given for appropriate unpaid and or part-time work. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
VOLUNTEER WORK EXPERIENCE: Refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service Programs (i.e., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student and social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge and skills that can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
ADDITIONAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Works inside shop an in areas adjacent to or removed from the shop.
- Exposed to oils and processing solutions, which may cause dermatitis or allergy.
- Subject to possible radiation damage of body tissues.
- Wears radiation monitoring devices, standard safety equipment, and protective clothing.
- Prolonged standing, frequent lifting of parts and materials weighting up to 40 pounds unassisted, and occasionally over 50 pounds with assistance of lifting devices or other workers required.
- Subject to eyestrain when using black light.
- Both hands and good eyesight required.
- Work requires stooping, bending, reaching, stretching, and climbing in, on, or through aircraft with equipment.
- Shift work may be required to work rotating shifts or uncommon tours of duty.
- May be required to possess a valid operators license to drive a motor vehicle to and from work sites.
- May be required to obtain an appropriated clearance to perform work in sensitive areas.
- This is drug testing designated position. The incumbent is subject to random testing for drug use.
The Department of Defense offers an excellent benefits program. In addition to your take-home pay, click here for an overview of benefits currently offered to Federal employees.
Direct Deposit: All federal employees are required to have direct deposit.
Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP): For information on how to apply as an ICTAP eligible click here. To be well-qualified and exercise selection priority for this vacancy, displaced Federal employees must be rated in the "Highly Qualified" or above "Best Qualified" Category on the rating criteria for this position.
Employed Annuitants (Reemployed Annuitants): Applicants in receipt of an annuity based on civilian employment in the Federal Service are subject to the DoD Policy on The Employment of Annuitants. Click here for more information.