QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: The following summarizes the qualification standard for this position found in the Job Qualifications System Trades and Labor Occupations (Handbook X-118C) http://www.opm.gov/qualifications/X-118C/Tabindx.asp. To qualify, there is no specific length of training or experience required; however, you must be able to demonstrate enough experience in your application to show you possess sufficient knowledge, skills, and abilities to assist air conditioning mechanics in the installation, repair, and modification of air conditioning equipment and systems.
JOB ELEMENTS: Your qualifications will be evaluated on the basis of your level of knowledge, skills, and abilities and/or competencies in the following areas:
1. Ability to demonstrate reliability and dependability. (Screen out)
2. Ability to handle weights and loads to include lifting, and carrying tools, equipment, and air conditioning supplies.
3. Ability to learn shop aptitude procedures and an interest in learning to perform the more advanced work of the air conditioning trade.
4. Ability to conduct special aptitude duties to include cleaning and greasing tools, removing trash, and keeping work area neat and clean.
5. Ability to follow directions, safety regulations and procedures; work closely with others as a member of a team.
PART-TIME OR UNPAID EXPERIENCE: Credit will be given for appropriate unpaid and or part-time work. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
VOLUNTEER WORK EXPERIENCE: Refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service Programs (i.e., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student and social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge and skills that can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
ADDITIONAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
1. Shift work may be required.
2. Work may require the employee to drive a motor vehicle. An appropriate valid drivers license may be required.
PHYSICAL EFFORT: The employee lifts, carries, and handles equipment up to 50 pounds. Works from ladders. Occasionally works from scaffolding platforms where equipment, parts, or tools are hard to reach. Work requires stooping, stretching, bending, kneeling, and working in tiring, uncomfortable positions.
WORKING CONDITIONS: The employee works indoors and occasionally outdoors. Subject to discomfort from face masks or other protective devices when there is a possibility of exposure to toxic refrigerants, noxious gases, fumes, or acids. Occasionally subject to possible burns, cuts electrical shocks, and respiratory ailments. Protective equipment and clothing such as safety shows, glasses, ear protection, face masks, and/or hard hats are required, which are sometimes heavy and uncomfortable. Exposed to repeated, prolonged, or concentrated amounts of refrigerants. Frequently subject to sudden temperature changes.