(1) Independently inspects aircraft and determines the nature and extent of repairs to be made, using applicable technical orders as guidelines. Works directly on the aircraft and its components, fulfilling such tasks as removal, repair, modification and installation of parts and assemblies, such as frames, stringers, longerons, bulkheads, beams, ribs, spars, skin, cowling, brackets, faring, access doors, panels and other related items. May be required to clear red "X" conditions.
(2) Repairs cracks in aircraft skin. Fabricates and fits patches to damaged areas, determining repair detail necessary to retain or restore original strength. Fits and trims components to aircraft such as landing gear doors, control surfaces, flaps access doors and other assemblies. Seals structures to make them pressure, water and weather tight.
(3) Troubleshoots aircraft structural repair situations in such areas as fuselage, tails, wings, cowlings, and stabilizers. Removes, forms, fits, and installs highly stressed and double contoured skins, using hand or powered drilling and cutting tools and other metal working equipment. Determines shear and bearing load factors during rivet replacement. Installs heads up, regular, heat treated, high shear, and blind type aircraft rivets and fasteners, using pneumatic riveters, special tools and bucking bars. Removes damaged or broken fasteners and receptacles.
(4) Aligns and balances component structures and airframe using precision measuring instruments and levels. Performs metal-to-metal bonding where delimitation of surfaces and core material occurs in control surfaces.
(5) Inspects damage or deterioration and determines repair or replacement of plastic, fiberglass, composites, bonded structures, and bonded honeycomb assemblies using powered and non-powered tools and equipment. Repairs or replaces retaining frames and installs plastic laminated blanks. Designs and constructs forming fixtures.
(7) Performs fabrication of local manufactured items requited for aircraft and equipment. Work includes layout, bending, cutting, forming and assembling. Devise and calculates patterns employing the principles of triangulation, radial and parallel line development.
(8) Performs other duties as assigned.
**** A more comprehensive detailed description of the position may be found in Position Description D1371000 in the employing unit or in the Human Resources Office ****