SUMMARY OF DUTIES:
This position is located in an Air National Guard Wing, Mission Support Group, Security Forces Squadron. The primary purpose of this position is to protect Federal property from hazards such as sabotage, espionage, trespass, theft, fire, and accident or willful damage and destruction. To maintain law and order, preserve the peace, and protect life and civil rights within the jurisdiction of the military installation.
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS FOR CONSIDERATION:
General: All GS-0083 series personnel must be certified at the next higher level before being eligible for that level and must have a minimum of one year on-the-job experience in the grade immediately below the next higher level. Understanding of the basic principles and concepts of military security forces functions, laws, policies, regulations, rules, procedures, and methods. Also, have general experience performing functions such as weapon systems and resource security, air base defense, law enforcement; and, if applicable for the position, experience in handling military working dog functions or combat arms functions. Applicants must have a valid state drivers license.
Specialized: 12 months of experience for the GS-06 in the knowledge skills and abilities as listed below. Has experiences in performing practical security force (SF) activities in direct support of the military weapon systems and physical security; law and order; or area security operations. Work experiences are in law enforcement, maintaining law and order, preserving the peace, and protecting life and civil rights within the jurisdiction of military installations. Has experiences in protecting federal property from hazards such as sabotage, espionage, trespass, theft, fire, and accident or willful damage and destruction. Has experiences in responding to disaster and relief operations and participates in contingencies. Substitution of Education: there is no substitution of education for experience for this position. The education must have been in fields directly related to the type of work of the position to be filled:
Knowledge, Skill, and Abilities (KSAs): Applicants are strongly encouraged to submit a separate sheet(s) addressing the KSAs and how they relate to work experience, education or training. This document will be used to determine the PAY GRADE to which an applicant may qualify. GS-06 Level:
- Knowledge of established rules, procedures, and methods of operating to perform independently the full range of security forces activities including preventing theft or damage to Federal property and equipment as well as counter-terrorist, bomb, fire, and other threat operations, to include installation emergency and disaster control plans.
- Knowledge of integrated base defense security requirements, methods, and procedures used in enforcing specialized personnel access controls; protecting and preventing unauthorized access to buildings, facilities, or areas where stringent security requirements are in force; detaining violators who attempt to resist; and performing other guard duties requiring special training and experience.
- Knowledge of the rights of detained individuals and organizational rules regarding the appropriate use of force.
- Ability to learn the practices, methods, and techniques for functioning effectively as a member of a quick reaction force when participating in integrated base defense postures, as well as preparing a variety of recurring reports.
- Ability to learn the operation of specialized weapons, equipment and intrusion detection systems.
- Ability to establish priorities, monitor work flow, make adjustments in work assignments, provide on-the-job training and guidance, and provide feedback and instructions from supervisor.
- Knowledge to respond to and operate a variety of communication, electronic, and surveillance systems and equipment including radios, closed circuit televisions (CCTVs) and intrusion detection systems.
- Ability to carry out duties in a manner that will set an example and direct subordinates, ensuring that all information and instructions are complied with.
The federal government offers a number of exceptional benefits to its employees which may include Flexible Spending Accounts, Health Insurance, Annual Leave, Life Insurance, Long Term Care Insurance, and Retirement Program. For additional information about current federal benefits visit web site http://www.opm.gov
The South Dakota National Guard is an equal opportunity employer and cannot discriminate against an employee or applicant with respect to the terms, conditions or privileges of employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (includes gender or sexual harassment), sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability (including pregnancy), marital status or political affiliation. Applicants or employees may contact the South Dakota National Guard Equal Employment Office at 605-737-6635 if they believe they have been the victim of unlawful discrimination.