EXPERIENCE: Applicants will be rated in accordance with the OPM Qualification Standard Handbook X-118C; for additional information click here. Although a specific length of time and experience is not required for most trade and labor occupations, you must meet any screen-out element(s) listed, and show through experience and training that you possess the quality level of knowledge and skill necessary to perform the duties of the position at the level for which applying. Qualification requirements emphasis is on the quality of experience, not necessarily the length of time. Knowledge of cutting, moving, digging, grading, and rolling earth, sand, stone, and other materials and construct, maintain, and repair rigid and flexible pavements, roads, and runways, and operate boom crane(s).
1. Ability to do the work of the position without more than normal supervision. Knowledge of operate one or more types of heavy equipment to excavate, backfill, grade, or level earth, perform functions as cutting, moving, digging, grading, and rolling earth, sand, stone and other materials, grade surfaces, compact soils, or roll to exact specifications on flat or rolling terrain. (Screen-out)
2. Knowledge of engineering equipment such as graders, tractors, with bulldozer or angle dozer blades, front-end loaders, backhoes, trench diggers, and large industrial tractors with pan or scraper attachments; and the operation, capabilities, and capacities of boom cranes and the cranes response to control changes.
3. Knowledge of the different sets of controls and operations of equipment and attachments.
4. Knowledge of safety regulations, practices, and procedures.
5. Skill in manipulating the controls to adjust spreaders, sprayers, post hole diggers, backhoes, moveable dozer blades, and front-end loading devices.
6. Skill in the use of clutches, levers, brakes and accelerator to raise and lower the boom, to position the revolving frame, and to raise and lower the hoist line with the load and to move the base.
7. Ability to react quickly to hand and other signals from ground level personnel; to use and maintain power tools, hand tools, and related equipment; and to read and interpret instructions, blueprints, drawings, and sketches.
PART-TIME OR UNPAID EXPERIENCE: Credit will be given for appropriate unpaid and or part-time work. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
VOLUNTEER WORK EXPERIENCE: Refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service Programs (i.e., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student and social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge and skills that can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
ADDITIONAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
1. Emergency overtime may be required. 2. The work will require the employee to drive a motor vehicle. A valid Commercial Driver License (CDL) is required for the position. 3. Shift work may be required. 4. The employee may be required to work other than normal duty hours, which may include evenings, weekends, and/or holidays. 5. May be required to train and/or guide lower grade employees. 6. Hand, foot and eye coordination, good depth perception and a high degree of concentration are required in handling and manipulating controls to perform the work of this position. 7. Performs other duties as assigned.
8. This is a drug testing designated position. The incumbent is subject to random testing for drug use.