ALABAMA AIR NATIONAL GUARD MEMBERSHIP IS REQUIRED: This is an excepted position that requires membership in a compatible military assignment in the Alabama Air National Guard. Selectee will be required to wear the military uniform. Acceptance of an excepted position constitutes concurrence with these requirements as a condition of employment. Applicants who are not currently a member of the Alabama Air National Guard must be eligible for immediate membership and employment in the Alabama Air National Guard in the military grade listed in this announcement.
AREA OF CONSIDERATION FOR ALABAMA AIR NATIONAL GUARD POSITIONS:
AREA 1: All permanent Alabama Air National Guard civilian excepted technicians currently employed.
(1) Planning: Plans and schedules specific work assignments on a daily or project-to-project basis within specified time requirements. Arranges for adequate personnel, materials and equipment to accomplish the work.
(2) Work Direction: Assigns tasks to be performed. Explains prescribed methods and procedures; instructs subordinates on new procedures and provides assistance on problems. Reviews work in progress and oncompletion. Obtains approval from supervisor for changes in standard or prescribed procedures and changes in work operations. Suggests ways or methods to improve operations or reduce costs.
(3) Administration: Recommends individuals to fill vacancies or for promotion or reassignment. Assists in the establishment of performance standards and makes recommendations for performance appraisals. Counsels with employees on disciplinary issues and recommends disciplinary action. Attempts to resolve informal complaints and grievances, referring unresolved or more serious issues to supervisor. Conducts on-the-job training and recommends employees for formal training programs. Schedules leave and approves leave for short periods of time. Encourages employees to participate in suggestion or cost reduction programs. Ensures that regulations governing safety and housekeeping are observed with appropriate protective clothing and equipment being utilized. Explains and implements such personnel programs as equal opportunity, position management, position description review, and labor relations. Maintains production reports and records.
(4) Performs the nonsupervisory functions of the organizational segment supervised.
(5) Implements regulatory safety requirements and ensures that subordinates wear appropriate safety equipment and follow pertinent safety precautions.
(6) Prepares for and participates in various types of readiness evaluations, inspections, mobilization and command support exercises. May be required to perform additional duties such as structural fire fighting, aircraft fire/ crash/rescue duty, security guard, snow removal, munitions loading and handling, heavy equipment operator, maintenance of facilities and equipment, or serve as a member of a team to cope with natural disasters or civil emergencies.
(7) Performs other duties as assigned.
EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS: Each applicant must fully substantiate (in his/her own words) that he/she meets the requirements of the specialized experience listed below; Otherwise, the applicant will be considered unqualified for this position. DO NOT COPY THE VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT OR THE POSITION DESCRIPTION.
GENERAL EXPERIENCE: Experience or training which demonstrates that the candidate has the ability to organize assignments for subordinates, estimate material and manpower needed for specific jobs; able to explain manuals and work procedures; and to prepare production records, work records and reports.
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: In addition to the journeyman level knowledge, at least 36 months experience in each of the following tasks. Experience which demonstrates the ability to plan, direct, and organize work assignments for lower grade personnel. Experience which required the review of work requirements and establish priorities to meet deadlines. Experience that provided knowledge of various lines of work performed by this function. Experience which demonstrates the ability to supervise or the potential to perform such duties as evidenced by the ability to communicate knowledge of general supervisory concepts, and knowledge of shop processes. Experience in adapting existing equipment and techniques to new situations.
Supervisor provides general instructions, standard procedures, overall priorities and policies and relies upon the incumbent to control work operations and accomplish an adequate quantity and quality of work. Work is reviewed for efficient and economical accomplishment within established priorities and controls.
SUBSTITUTION OF EDUCATION IS NOT CONSIDERED FOR WAGE GRADE POSITIONS.
COMPATIBILITY REQUIREMENTS: All applications will be considered regardless of AFSC. Incumbent will be required to be assigned to and qualify in a compatible military position. The selected individual may be required to attend formal technical school training in a military status.
Compatible Military Assignment: AFSC: 2A3XX, 2A590, 2A5X1, 2A5X4, 2A6XX, 2A8X1, 2A8X2C, 2A8X1C, 2A8X1E, 2A8X2E Applicants do not have to possess this AFSC to be certified as qualified.
MILITARY GRADE: Only applicants within the military grade listed below will be considered. **Please include your military grade on your resume.
Minimum Military Rank/Grade: MSgt
Maximum Military Rank/Grade: SMSgt Individuals exceeding the maximum military grade are required to submit a letter along with resume agreeing to a military demotion if selected. This statement of understanding is required for basic qualification.
Other Requirements: For positions requiring the operation of motor vehicles, candidates must have a valid state drivers license for the state in which they live or are principally employed.
The following Web addresses are provided for your reference to explore the major benefits offered to most Federal employees.
Main site for new federal employees - http://www.opm.gov/insure/new_employ/index.asp
Flexible Spending Accounts - This Program allows you to pay for certain health and dependent care expenses with pre-tax dollars. For additional information visit: https://www.fsafeds.com/fsafeds/index.asp
Health Insurance - The FEHB Program offers over 100 optional plans. For additional information visit: http://www.opm.gov/insure/health/index.asp
Leave - Most Federal employees earn both annual and sick leave. For additional information visit: http://www.opm.gov/oca/leave/index.asp
Life Insurance - The FEGLI Program offers Basic Life Insurance plus three types of optional insurance, for additional information visit: http://www.opm.gov/insure/life/index.asp
Long Term Care Insurance - The FLTCIP provides long term care insurance for Federal employees and their parents, parents-in-law, stepparents, spouses, and adult children. For additional information visit: http://www.ltcfeds.com
Retirement Program - Almost all new employees are automatically covered by the Federal Employees Retirement System (FERS). FERS is a three-tiered retirement plan. The three tiers are: Social Security Benefits, Basic Benefit Plan, Thrift Savings Plan. For additional information visit: http://www.opm.gov/retire/index.asp
If you are a male applicant who was born after 12/31/59 and are required to register under the Military Selective Service Act, the Defense Authorization Act of 1986 requires that you be registered or you are not eligible for appointment in this agency.