This position is located in State Air National Guard (ANG) Headquarters. The purpose of this position is to provide staff assistance, guidance, and direction concerning ANG personnel, administration, training, recruiting, retention, incentive, and budgetary matters to the Administrative Officer, the Adjutant General, the Assistant Adjutant General (Air), state ANG staff and state ANG units, and to provide supervisory guidance to assigned State ANG Headquarters personnel.
(1) Provides state level coordination of all military personnel programs, including but not limited to: enlistment, appointment, performance evaluation reports, promotions, officer and enlisted selective retention, discharges, separations, recruiting, retention, incentives, and training. Develops state-level programs, publications, policies, and procedures. Manages the state and federal programs for awards, decorations, special recognition, and other incentive/retention enhancement efforts. Monitors and executes state-level responsibilities regarding all military personnel assignments, reassignments, classification actions, and professional military education. Conducts in-depth research on difficult personnel cases, administrative matters, medical, and training problems. Provides technical and specialized data, background material and references, and determines solutions and courses of action to be followed. Monitors manning, manpower authorizations, and organizational changes. Maintains frequent contact with the National Guard Bureau (NGB), Air National Guard Support Center (ANGSC), Air Force Military Personnel Center (AFMPC), Air Reserve Personnel Center (ARPC), and other appropriate agencies.
(2) Coordinates a statewide incentive program, and serves as the focal point for all matters pertaining to the program. Works closely with the unit commanders and their representatives in the operation of the incentive program. Ensures that funds are only authorized to those specialties that the unit commander has designated as eligible consistent with valid unit manning vacancy requirements. Attends various meetings and conferences with representatives of NGB, ANGSC, the Adjutant General, the Administrative Officer, and unit personnel relative to overall procedures and operations of the program.
(3) Responsible for the management of the State ANG Retention Program for enlisted and officer personnel. Coordinates personnel policies, directives, and procedures to identify and eliminate ineffective procedures. Evaluates data, reports, studies, and other information as a basis for initiating corrective actions on programs. Recommends policies and procedures for enhancing both the state and Air National Guard Enlisted Retention Program. Evaluates the adequacy of national and state advertising programs. Coordinates with the Base Career Advisor to determine program needs, trends, and effectiveness.
(4) Serves as principal assistant to the Administrative Officer and in his/her absence ensures continuity of operations. Assists in maintaining orderly and efficient accomplishment of the office administrative workload.
(5) Manages the state Officer Effectiveness Report Program. Provides information to staff personnel regarding trends, and informs commanders of current policies and procedures. Provides statistical data to management to assist in monitoring the program.