ALABAMA AIR NATIONAL GUARD MEMBERSHIP IS REQUIRED: This is an excepted position that requires membership in a compatible military assignment in the Alabama Air National Guard. Selectee will be required to wear the military uniform. Acceptance of an excepted position constitutes concurrence with these requirements as a condition of employment. Applicants who are not currently a member of the Alabama Air National Guard must be eligible for immediate membership and employment in the Alabama Air National Guard in the military grade listed in this announcement.
AREA OF CONSIDERATION FOR ALABAMA AIR NATIONAL GUARD POSITIONS:
AREA 1: All permanent Alabama Air National Guard civilian excepted technicians currently employed.
AREA 2: All drill status/M-day personnel in the Alabama Air National Guard.
AREA 3: All U.S. citizens or individuals eligible for membership in the Alabama Air National Guard.
1. Provides administrative oversight of the Quality Assurance (QA) Program. Provides technical assistance and advice to the Financial Manager (FM) and staff. Examines all areas to determine the effectiveness of procedures and also determines if supervisors are recording quality data upon which accurate management conclusions and decisions are based. Ensures effective and efficient quality standards and internal controls are in place at base level operations. Ensures the unit is performing in accordance with established standards. Researches, develops, modifies, and maintains qualitative standards for use in evaluating and monitoring performance indicators. Uses verifiable and objective measures and develops statistically reliable and valid measures whenever possible. Provides technical internal control advice on military pay, civilian pay, travel pay, disbursing and collection, accounting, vendor and contract pay, budget, and systems administration. Maintains a schedule of all reports, audits, inspections, and internal control reviews. (40%)
2. Independently conducts various reviews to assess organizational performance. Manages self-inspection programs. Examines all pay-related and accounting and financial functions to ensure internal accounting systems and administrative controls are sufficient to reasonably ensure all obligations and payments comply with applicable laws. Ensures funds are safeguarded against waste, loss and misappropriation, and all remittances and payments are properly accounted. Reviews military pay vouchers, travel payments, and entitlement documents to ensure supporting documents are applicable and valid. Perform post-audit voucher review. Works closely with the financial management staff to extract needed information for targeting and studying suspected potential weaknesses. Identifies existing and potential material weaknesses and works with affected officials to develop a schedule of corrections. Understands and identifies material weaknesses in this context relate to the monetary value and the perceived command, public, or political sensitivity associated with a particular function. Monitors access levels and dual access to financial systems and prepares or oversees the preparation of all internal control reports. Examines all functional areas and determines the effectiveness of procedures, the integrity of financial and accounting data, and other decision-support criteria used by management. Ensures quality assurance standards and internal controls are in place within the comptroller office and reports discrepancies to the FM. (30%)
3. Focal point for fraud prevention. Reviews retrieval data provided by the local systems branch to screen for any unauthorized access level or dual access between the payable systems and the general accounting system. Reports discrepancies to the FM for further research. (5%)
4. Based on general supervisory guidance, reviews and coordinates, with management and affected supervisors, new or modified applications affecting automated systems. Identifies needed system changes and conducts system change tests to ensure changes produce the desired matches such as, duplicate payments, collections, and reconciliations. Responsible for analyzing findings and recommendations. Reports discrepancies to the FM.(5%)
5. Gathers data, tracks discrepancies, prepares trend charts, and facilitates discussions with personnel at financial or QA meetings. Ensures all open discrepancies are consistently and aggressively addressed and resolved through completion. Prepares monthly Discrepancy Tracking Report to management for review. (5%)
6. Cross-feeds various reports and bulletins, on a routine basis, through various electronic communications such as, emails and websites throughout the Wing financial management community. (5%)
7. Facilitates monthly QA meetings and prepares minutes. (5%)
8. Based on study results, determines need for refresher and supplementary training. Develops, schedules, and conducts training. (5%)
9. Performs other duties as assigned.