GS-04: General Experience: 6 months of general experience which is any type of work that demonstrates the applicants ability to perform the work of the position, or (2) experience that provided a familiarity with the subject matter or processes of the broad subject area of the occupation.
Specialized Experience: 6 months of specialized experience at the next lower grade (GS-03 or equivalent). Specialized experience must include (a) Technical medical laboratory support work such as performing laboratory tests and examinations (chemical, microbiologic, hematologic and blood banking) and preparing reports of findings or (b) technical support work in a closely related field, e.g., biological laboratory technician work, that required application of the methods and techniques for the position to be filled.
GS-05: At least one (1) year of specialized experience at the next lower grade (GS-04 or equivalent). Specialized experience must include to conduct test to identify a variety of commonly encountered or expected pathogenic bacteria and fungi for identification to genus and species. Selects methods for obtaining pure cultures of suspected pathogens found on preliminary culture. Selects basic tests to be used and determines need for additional tests to furnish positive identification. Writes report of findings and submits to supervisor.
GS-06: At least one (1) year of specialized experience at the next lower grade (GS-05 or equivalent). Specialized experience must include performing specimen collection and processing duties; receives specimens collected outside the lab and ensures appropriateness for tests required; and receives, orders, accessions, and prioritizes laboratory test requests.
GS-07: At least one (1) year of specialized experience at the next lower grade (GS-06 or equivalent). Specialized experience must include performing a variety of laboratory tests and examinations which are difficult and complex; completing tests using standard operating procedures or detailed instructions and guidelines; and preparing reports of findings.
GS-08: At least one (1) year of specialized experience at the next lower grade (GS-07 or equivalent). Specialized experience must include medical technicians perform difficult and complex laboratory tests and examinations for which procedures and instructions have not been standardized locally. There are typically very many extremely delicate and exacting steps, the instrumentation is elaborate and complex, and the settings and measurements are very fine; the work typically involves significant personal work contacts with pathologists, other physicians, and with patients.
To view qualifying educational requirements and/or combination of education and specialized experience click on the following link:
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (KSAs): Your qualifications will be evaluated on the basis of your level of knowledge, skills, abilities and/or competencies in the following areas:
1. Ability to make adjustments in work assignments for the laboratory technicians based on established priorities.
2. Ability to train and instruct other laboratory personnel, medical staff, students, new employees, reservists and volunteers in proper phlebotomy procedures.
3. Knowledge of phlebotomy procedures for collecting blood samples by venipuncture or by capillary method, and for collecting body fluids, skin scrapings, throat or wound swabs, and specimens from patients of all ages including those with collapsed or small veins.
4. Skill in receiving patients; providing verbal instructions regarding sample collection process to be followed prior to, during, and after specimen collections; and preparing and reviewing; laboratory slips for required information.
5. Ability to recognize signs or symptoms of physiological reactions and act appropriately to prevent injury to and stabilize the patient.
6. Ability to think critically and interact with supervisors and employees. Must possess a high personal and ethical integrity to understand critical implications of the laboratory procedures performed and the severe legal consequences with results produced. Skill in effective oral and written communications to prepare correspondence and technical documentation for training and counseling employees.
7. Knowledge of computerized information management systems and data automation systems associated with laboratory instrumentation to enter, retrieve, and process available data using appropriate coding systems, formats, and reporting requirements. Knowledge to train others in data system operations, to coordinate requirements with computer specialists, and to interpret computer products.
PART-TIME OR UNPAID EXPERIENCE: Credit will be given for appropriate unpaid and or part-time work. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
VOLUNTEER WORK EXPERIENCE: Refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service Programs (i.e., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student and social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge and skills that can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
ARE YOU USING YOUR EDUCATION TO QUALIFY? You MUST provide transcripts to support your educational claims. Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
FOREIGN EDUCATION: Education completed in foreign colleges or universities may be used to meet the requirements. You must show proof the education credentials have been deemed to be at least equivalent to that gained in conventional U.S. education program. It is your responsibility to provide such evidence when applying.
ADDITIONAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Position may be subject to random drug testing
- Employee may be required to work other than normal duty hours, to include evenings, weekends and/or holidays
- Shift work and emergency overtime may be required
- Employee must maintain current certifications
- Position may require an appropriate security clearance