The following list of duties is not conclusive but provides a brief snapshot of the duties that may be required of this position:
- Pilot advanced, single or multi-engine military airplane, high performance military fighter aircraft on tactical/non-tactical assigned missions using advanced precision instrument flight techniques in conjunction with air navigational
- Prepare for flight to include: securing current and forecast weather information to determine conditions along the proposed route of flight and at the destination; plans the flight through the study of maps and charts to determine routing, intermediate stops, alternate destination, fuel requirements, estimated flying time and, if required, files the airplane flight plan; checks or verifies that the airplane is ready for flight, including such aspects as loading and weight distribution, maintenance or service conditions, and performing prescribed preflight checks; ensures that any passengers and crew members are briefed on the nature and purpose of the flight and the procedures to be followed in an emergency; and obtains the proper clearances to begin the flight.
- Operate the airplane with the utmost safety to include: adhering to flight procedures and parameters specified in the airplane flight manual; communicating and coordinating with ground units and controlling activities; monitoring performance of the airplane and progress of the flight; and takes corrective action, including the use of emergency procedures as required.
- Accomplish post-flight activities to include: maintaining airplane logs and forms; writing flight reports; coordinating with maintenance personnel on service conditions; and conducts post-flight checks.
- Serve as the Air Commanders representative when performing duties as Supervisor of Flying (SOF) and is responsible for the safe and efficient mission accomplishment of the unit.
- Performs other duties as assigned.