The Desktop Support Engineer reports to and provides daily hands-on, desk-side technical support to both baseline and fee-for-service clients of the Forest Glen Annex, an auxiliary location located in Silver Spring, MD to the Fort Detrick main post in Frederick. MD. This includes client hardware and software support. Some desktop support may be handled remotely through remote control software. The work involves planning and delivering customer support services, including installation, configuration, troubleshooting, customer assistance and/or training in response to customer requirements. Provides customer service, support, training and diagnostics to systems and software including productivity applications, Microsoft Windows operating systems, Scripting via PowerShell or similar scripting languages, IP protocols, Active Directory and equipment used in customer organizations. Requirements include knowledge of, and skill in:
- Customer support and troubleshooting principles and methods.
- Multifunction printer support (Canon, Xerox MFDs)
- Troubleshooting Active Directory and CAC authentication and certificate issues.
- Scripting skills (VBScript, PowerShell or similar) are a plus
- Supporting VMware VDI or similar technology is a plus (Virtual Hosted Desktop)
- Planning and delivery of a full range of customer support services to customers including installing, configuring, upgrading, and troubleshooting any hardware and software components present; delivering formal and informal training and assistance to customers; reporting, responding to and resolving customer requests via Remedy and other trouble ticketing systems;
- Diagnosing and resolving problems in response to customer reported incidents;
- Identifying, researching, evaluating, and providing feedback to management on problematic trends and patterns in customer support;
- Assisting in the development and management of customer service performance requirements;
- Assisting in the development of customer support policies, procedures, and standards;
- Troubleshooting complex problems & coordination with other IT teams and service providers;
- Regularly upgrading technical skills;
- Ensuring the rigorous application of Army information security/information assurance policies, principles, and practices in the delivery of customer support services, and;
- Providing technical support to critical end-user issues in support of Army mission requirements on a 7x24 basis if required.
Demonstrated ability to work without direct supervision.
Proven direct, telephone and written communication and customer service skills and strong collaboration methods to interface with peers, VIPs and vendor representatives.
Ability to apply systematic/systems analysis processes and procedures to troubleshooting diagnostics.
Advanced diagnostic skills and tools knowledge.
Knowledge of Army IT regulations and security procedures. *Desired*
Experience with BMC Remedy 7.6/8.1 or similar help desk tracking tools.
Experience with Microsoft Office products including Access, Excel, and Word.