Essential Job Responsibilities:
- Performs a variety of tasks involving strenuous manual labor in heavy construction projects including placing concrete, measuring distances, bolting and nailing, applying caulking compounds and grinding, sanding and polishing.
- Loads, unloads and distributes building materials, excavates ditches and footings, erects and disassembles scaffolding, and prepares forms.
- Demolishes concrete with jackhammer, demolishes framing with saws and wrecking bars and removes from jobsite.
- Lifts and moves materials to and from jobsite and positions at correct locations.
- Backfills, compacts and levels earth to proper grade with hand and power tools.
- Builds and positions forms for placing concrete and dismantles forms after use using saws, hammers, nails or bolts.
- Maintains a clean job site: pick up all tools and equipment, clean up rubble and debris and remove waste materials, and secure job site each day in order to eliminate potential hazards.
- Operates a variety of electric and pneumatic hand tools
- Assists other craft workers
- Conforms with all safety rules and uses all appropriate safety equipment
- Ensures that proper safety and incident reporting procedures are followed bringing problems to the attention of the Superintendent
- Conforms with and abides by all company regulations, policies, work procedures, and instructions.
- Performs other duties as required and assigned
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Basic knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of buildings
- Basic knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance
- Ability to understand, follow and transmit verbal instructions in English
- Ability to maintain regular and punctual attendance
- Ability to identify problems and review related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions
- Skills in manual dexterity, including to quickly move hands to grasp, manipulate, or assemble objects
- Ability to use equipment and tools properly and safely
- Ability to hear warning horns and backup warnings
- Attention to detail skills and thorough in completing work tasks
- Ability to perform physical activities that require considerable use of arms and legs and moving whole body, such as climbing, lifting, balancing, walking, stooping, and handling of materials
- Ability to use hands and arms in handling, installing, positioning, and moving materials, and manipulating things
- Ability to lift 35-40 pounds consistently and 70 pounds occasionally with assistance; proper lifting techniques required
- Ability to stand for long periods of time - approximately 95-100% of time on the job is spent standing up
- Ability to travel to and from job site as required
Experience and Education:*
- Any combination of education and experience that demonstrates the knowledge and ability to perform the work.
- Experience in the construction industry preferred
*Equivalent education and experience will be considered