Boyd Jones Construction Omaha, NE
This position is responsible for the continuous development and improvement of the estimating department including but not limited to the protocols, policies, procedures metrics, historical cost databases and costs models. In partnership with the Director of Estimating and Preconstruction, manages the overall department including training, recruiting, and mentoring of estimating staff members.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
- Establishes protocols, policies, procedures and develop KPI’s- follows up to ensure execution.
- Sources and analyzes competitive bid opportunities in the region.
- Coordinates and leads pre-bid strategy meetings.
- Assists in the preparation of bid packages, receives bids from subcontractors and vendors, and conducts thorough analysis.
- Takes the lead or delegates and manages the internal quantity takeoff process.
- Oversees the preparation and submission of final bids.
- Provides strategy and analysis to maximize cost competitiveness of Boyd Jones’ bids.
- Manages the submission of competitive bids over $50 million.
- Identifies and qualifies new subcontractors and vendors and adds them to our subcontractor database.
- Captures and organizes data and develops a working knowledge of unit costs, production rates, system square foot costs and total building square foot costs.
- Assists with the continuous improvement of historical cost databases and cost models.
- Analyzes and communicates trends in the marketplace.
- Visits proposed job sites to gather information on existing conditions.
- Identifies potential risk factors and advises the Project Team on ways to mitigate.
- Visits projects during construction to review the status of the actual performance verses assumptions made during the preconstruction process.
- Manages employees within department including but not limited to hiring, training and developing employees, delegating work assignments, writing and conducting performance appraisals, salary recommendations, coaching and counseling, and administering corrective actions.
- Performs other duties as required and assigned.
- Minimum of 10 years of progressive commercial estimating experience, including leadership of a team, required
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Knowledge of and proficiency utilizing Microsoft Office suite of software (Word & Excel)
- Knowledge of and proficiency utilizing Sage 300 Estimating software
- Ability to meet deadlines, be self-motivated, detail oriented, and possess strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to estimate projects and accurately prepare complex proposals
- Ability to analyze, interpret, and compare design specifications of various levels
- High degree of verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to lead and motivate a team of employees
Education & Training*:
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in a construction-related or relevant field required
*Equivalent education and experience will be considered
- Normally works in a general office environment with the use of computer, printer, telephone, copier, fax, and calculator. Lighting and temperature are adequate and there are no hazardous or unpleasant conditions caused by noise, dust, etc.
- May be exposed to high noise levels on construction sites and environmental conditions requiring the use of personal protective equipment to include hard hats, eye protection, hearing protection, gloves and safety shoes when visiting job sites.
| Date Posted
September 20, 2017
| Date Closes
October 20, 2017
| Located In
| Job Type
| Experience Level
Experienced (7-15 yrs. experience)
| SOC Category
13-1051.00 Cost Estimators
This job offers the following benefits
- 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan
- Profit Sharing
- Accidental Death and Dismemberment
- Life Insurance
- Prescription Drug Plan
- Bereavement Pay
- Paid Holidays
- Paid Vacations
- Workout Facilities
- Merit Increases
This job requires the following skills
- Commercial Construction
- Construction Estimating / Bidding
- Construction Management
- Mixed Use Property Construction
- Multi-Unit Residential Building Construction
- Office Building Construction
- Retail Building Construction
This job is related other jobs in these career categories