Boys Town is seeking a Respiratory Therapist Casual/PRN. In this role, you will provide respiratory care services in consultation with the provider and makes recommendations on its usage. You will also perform all duties in accordance with established protocol, policies, and procedures.
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES
- Initiates and maintains all forms of oxygen therapy. Utilizes departmental policies for the initiation of all basic and advanced Respiratory Therapy modalities including invasive and noninvasive ventilation.
- Maintains artificial airways.
- Performs point-of-care lab testing as per established policies and procedures.
- Evaluates the patient care plan for therapeutic effectiveness and changes based on patient response.
- Participates in respiratory performance improvement measures.
- Educates patients/families on respiratory procedures and processes in the hospital setting.
- Educates patients/families to meet home respiratory needs (inhalers, nebulizers, etc.) at discharge.
- Complies with all applicable state and federal statutes, rules, regulations, and BTNRH policies and procedures.
- Performs competency assessments of hospital nursing staff related to respiratory procedures and equipment. Assists with annual Hospital Skills Day.
- Works with all members of the healthcare team to assure quality of care and safe practices related to respiratory care.
- Other Duties: This job description incorporates the essential functions and duties required for this position. However, other duties may be required and assigned at times and as determined by a supervisor to meet the needs of the organization.
- Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- Ability to communicate concisely with patients, families, and staff; collaborate with other members of the health care team to enhance care.
- Ability to make assessments and utilize critical thinking skills.
- Ability to maintain licensure requirements and professional growth by participation in professional conferences.
- Ability to complete patient documentation in a thorough and concise manner, in the patient medical record.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with frequent interruptions.
- Ability to respond quickly and calmly to emergencies and stressful situations.
- Ability to independently manage multiple priorities.
- Provides patient care and education according to the patient population served.
REQUIREMENTS OF THE JOB:
- A Registered Respiratory Therapist who is a graduate of an accredited school with a current State of Nebraska license as a Respiratory Care Practitioner
- Minimum of two years of critical care experience within the last five years; pediatric experience preferred
- Must be CPR (BLS), ACLS, and PALS certified within six months of employment
- Prior working knowledge of using computer programs and electronic medical records.
Possesses audible acuity necessary for monitoring and responding to alarms for patient safety. Possesses visual acuity necessary for reading charts, forms, communication, administering medications and patient procedures. Work requires finger dexterity and eye hand coordination to operate a computer keyboard at a moderate skill level. Ability to stand and/or walk briskly throughout most of the day. Exerting 20 to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or 10 to 25 pounds of force frequently, and/or greater than negligible up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
Subject to inside environmental conditions: protection from weather conditions, but not necessarily from temperature changes.
About Boys Town:
Boys Town has been changing the way America cares for children and families since 1917. With over a century of service, our employees have helped us grow from a small boardinghouse in downtown Omaha, Nebraska, into one of the largest national child and family care organizations in the country. With the addition of Boys Town National Research Hospital in 1977, our services branched out into the health care and research fields, offering even more career opportunities to those looking to make a real difference.
Our employees are our #1 supporters when it comes to achieving Boys Towns mission, which is why we are proud of their commitment to making the world a better place for children, families, patients, and communities. Unique perks to Boys Town employees and their families include free visits to Boys Town physicians and free prescriptions under the Boys Town Medical Plan, tuition assistance, parenting resources from our experts and professional development opportunities within the organization, just to name a few. Working at Boys Town is more than just a job, it is a way of life.
This advertisement describes the general nature of work to be performed and does not include an exhaustive list of all duties, skills, or abilities required. Boys Town is an equal employment opportunity employer and participates in the E-Verify program. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status. To request a disability-related accommodation in the application process, contact us at 1-877-639-6003.