Business: Boys Town National Research Hospital
Under supervision of assigned research area leadership, the Research Assistant I role works on various phases of research studies being performed, including data entry and analysis, equipment calibration, preparation of solutions, ordering of supplies, and scheduling/recruiting human subjects for study activities. Duties will vary widely depending on the type of laboratory assigned and research being performed.
We are seeking a research assistant in the BrAIC Laboratory at the Institute for Human Neuroscience at Boys Town National Research Hospital. Join a vibrant and growing group of cognitive neuroscientists in Omaha using state-of-the-art neuroimaging equipment and resources in the new 15,000+ square foot Institute for Human Neuroscience building. This position includes ample opportunities for career development, including enrollment in local neuroscience or psychology PhD programs and MD/PhD programs, as well as placement in other nationally recognized research programs. This position also includes ample opportunities for career development and upward mobility for individuals who are interested in research and are looking for a lifelong career in this field. Applicants with interest and previous experience in human neuroimaging (MRI, MEG,EEG), coding (Matlab, Python, R), and/or in bioinformatics will be given preference. The project that the research assistant will work on involves analyzing over 2,000 MRI datasets from adolescents. Therefore, good organization skills are needed.
Successful applicants will have extensive opportunities to learn the latest neuroscience methods, conduct hands-on research with human participants, and author and co-author manuscripts.
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES
- Assists in the preparation of stimuli and development of appropriate test procedures.
- Assists in research tool preparation, data collection, and procedures in research studies which may include animals, human subjects, etc.
- Maintains a detailed record of test conditions and results.
- Assists in the calibration of laboratory equipment.
- Assists in the development of software for data collection and data analysis.
- Assists in the design, construction, and maintenance of electronic devices used in laboratories, including PCs, audio equipment, and special purpose interfaces.
- Assists in the recruitment, scheduling, and testing in research studies using human subjects.
- Uses computers to analyze and plot results of experiments.
- Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- Ability to apply knowledge gained through coursework in psychology, speech and hearing, biology, chemistry, physics, and/or computer science.
- Ability to operate and calibrate lab equipment and other electronic devices.
- Ability to operate a personal computer and audio equipment.
- Ability to apply math aptitude in order to perform data analyses and generate results.
- Ability to communicate well, both orally and in writing.
REQUIREMENTS OF THE JOB:
- Requires a high school diploma and at least one year of college coursework or equivalent experience.
- Coursework with an emphasis in psychology, speech and hearing, biology, chemistry, physics, computer science, or a research related area is preferred.
- Job requires interpersonal skills, close attention to details, math aptitude, and flexibility in duties performed.
- Based on area of assignment, bilingual skills may be required.
About Boys Town: Boys Town has been changing the way America cares for children and families since 1917. With over a century of service, our employees have helped us grow from a small boardinghouse in downtown Omaha, Nebraska, into one of the largest national child and family care organizations in the country. With the addition of Boys Town National Research Hospital in 1977, our services branched out into the health care and research fields, offering even more career opportunities to those looking to make a real difference.
Our employees are our #1 supporters when it comes to achieving Boys Towns mission, which is why we are proud of their commitment to making the world a better place for children, families, patients, and communities. Unique perks to Boys Town employees and their families include free visits to Boys Town physicians and free prescriptions under the Boys Town Medical Plan, tuition assistance, parenting resources from our experts and professional development opportunities within the organization, just to name a few. Working at Boys Town is more than just a job, it is a way of life.
Date Posted: Septmeber 1, 2022
Boys Town National Research Hospital is a tobacco free campus. This advertisement describes the general nature of work to be performed and does not include an exhaustive list of all duties, skills, or abilities required. Boys Town is an equal employment opportunity employer and participates in the E-Verify program. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, national origin, age, disability or veteran status. To request a disability-related accommodation in the application process, contact us at 1-877-639-6003.