Business: Boys Town National Research Hospital
$5,000 Hiring Bonus
In a career as an Operating Room Registered Nurse, you will join us in providing life changing care to patients from across the region. The professional registered nurse in the operating room, utilizes a systematic approach to nursing practice incorporating assessment, planning, implementation, and evaluation. Provides continuing health care and education to individuals and families to help them achieve their optimal level of health.
Schedule: 4 Days A Week and 10-Hour Shifts.
- In collaboration with other members of the health care team, the nurse uses the nursing process to complete the pre-operative physical, cognitive, spiritual, and psychosocial assessment of patients awaiting surgery.
- Formulates plan of care and reviews and revises plan on an ongoing basis.
- Able to plan and give care based on the patients age and level of development.
- Assures appropriate information management and documentation as per hospital policy; gives timely and thorough report to other members of the health care team using a designated hand off communication tool.
- Performs circulating duties in the operating suite and supervises surgical technologists.
- Ensures the Time Out procedure that verifies the correct patient, correct site, and the correct procedures is being performed.
- Assists in positioning, responding to comfort/safety of patient.
- In collaboration with other members of the health care team, the nurse assesses patient/family understanding and response to care provided; and patient/family educational needs.
- Utilities the Surgeon Preference Card and with the surgical technologist, identifies and gathers all necessary supplies, equipment, and instruments for each operative procedure.
- Assists surgeon by anticipating needs and providing instruments and other materials in a timely manner.
- Maintains "The Joint Commission" standards on an ongoing basis and assists in unit responsibilities for readiness for Joint Commission visits.
- Participates in department performance improvement activities.
- Serves on hospital or system committees as assigned; maintains two-way communication between Surgery Center staff and assigned committee.
- Follows AORN guidelines for perioperative practices and supportive agencies.
- A Registered Nurse who is a graduate of an accredited school with a current state license.
- Minimum of one year of previous OR experience required.
- Minimum of two years of experience in an acute hospital setting, and Pediatric experience preferred.
- must be CPR (BLS) certified, ACLS & PALS certification within 6 months of employment.
- Prior working knowledge of using a personal computer and electronic medical records.
- Ability to demonstrate clinical competence in providing direct patient care and patient and family education as well as assisting the physician in the delivery of patient care.
- Ability to apply knowledge of all ages and developmental levels to care given.
- Ability to communicate concisely with patients, families and staff; collaborate with other members of the health care team to enhance care.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with frequent interruptions.
- Ability to be flexible with daily assignments in all surgical specialties.
Boys Town has been changing the way America cares for children and families since 1917. With over a century of service, our employees have helped us grow from a small boardinghouse in downtown Omaha, Nebraska, into one of the largest national child and family care organizations in the country. With the addition of Boys Town National Research Hospital in 1977, our services branched out into the health care and research fields, offering even more career opportunities to those looking to make a real difference.
Our employees are our #1 supporters when it comes to achieving Boys Towns mission, which is why we are proud of their commitment to making the world a better place for children, families, patients, and communities. Unique perks to Boys Town employees and their families include free visits to Boys Town physicians and free prescriptions under the Boys Town Medical Plan, tuition assistance, parenting resources from our experts and professional development opportunities within the organization, just to name a few. Working at Boys Town is more than just a job, it is a way of life.
March 31st, 2021
Boys Town National Research Hospital is a tobacco free campus. This advertisement describes the general nature of work to be performed and does not include an exhaustive list of all duties, skills, or abilities required. Boys Town is an equal employment opportunity employer and participates in the E-Verify program. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or veteran status. To request a disability-related accommodation in the application process, contact us at 1-877-639-6003.
Boys Town National Research Hospital