Job Title: Operator I
Job Code: 880052
Immediate Supervisor: Telecommunications Manager
I. DEPARTMENT FUNCTION/JOB OVERVIEW
Responsible for assuring quality daily operation of the facility's telephone switchboard and assisting with the mail room operations. Work will be performed in an ethical and legal manner following organizational policies, processes, protocols and procedures. Responsible for quality service delivery and internal/external customer relations for Madonna as a whole, including upholding the mission and values for the department and facility.
II. ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- Follow Operational Definitions to ensure adequate and quality implementation of efficient telephone services and support to all Madonna employees and customers.
- Operate the switchboard in a manner that will ensure adequate and quality support of all incoming and outgoing telephone calls. This will include the use of the computer and automated equipment associated with the telephone system console.
- Maintain adequate equipment, supplies, and preventative maintenance programs.
- Assist in the processing of all incoming and outgoing mail. This includes placing the mail in the sorting bins, using the postage meter, and forwarding patient mail as required. On evenings and weekends it will require the delivery of often heavy mail sacks to the front entrance for pick-up by the post office. Occasionally pushing the mail cart for delivery may be needed.
- Prepare daily activity reports on switchboard and mail room activities.
- Maintain interdepartmental communication and participate in Communication and Information System staff activities.
- Log and summarize postage usage daily.
- Process Business Reply Mail and maintain the log book for all departments.
- Deliver printed charge cards for MRSH patients to Purchasing by 7:00 a.m. daily.
- Analyze, coordinate, all direct or forward mail which has "Special Handling" requests made either by the family or facility for all patients.
- Presort and bundle mail for the post office to get reduced rates. This will include the handling of packages and bundles as necessary.
- Operate and maintain copier and FAX machines and supplies.
- Maintain a log of all repairs and problems with the postage meters, FAX machines, Copiers, and other equipment.
- Communicate to facility, over the intercom, announcements pertinent to the days activities, any emergencies that occur, i.e., fire procedure, code orange, etc.
- Scan or manually enter charge cards for patient charges.
- Create, type and route various reports to support the entire facility.
- Adhere to all off-hour established help desk procedures when contacting the help desk after hours.
- Maintain a log of specialized equipment checked out for patient use.
- Interact with staff and other departments in a friendly, "helpful" manner.
- Must perceive customer relations as a primary focus to the department and continually strive to satisfy the needs of every customer in all areas of the work force.
- Mentor, and self initiate inquiry and learning of additional knowledge, in telephone communications and personal computers.
- Maintains a clean, organized and safe environment. Handles and operates all necessary equipment and performs required duties according to established safety standards to maintain compliance with regulations and prevent injury.
III. PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS
Sedentary work - Requires adequate vision to read handwritten numbers/material and computer printouts, and must be able to view the computer screen a good part of the day. Must possess adequate hearing and speech to answer the telephone and communicate efficiently with others about telephone needs and answer questions. Must be able to cope with stress of deadlines and working in a small, physically close and fast paced office. There will be the need for an occasional extended day. This position physically demands much sitting, some walking, stooping and lifting (up to 30 pounds).
IV. QUALIFICATIONS (Education/training and/or Experience)
EDUCATION - Preferred
High School equivalency.
EXPERIENCE - Preferred
Telephone switchboard experience, preferably on a Cisco Call Manager system.
SKILLS - Required
Proficient typing skills. Excellent oral and written communication skills. Strong interpersonal skills, able to elicit cooperation. Must have good grammar, spelling and organization skills.
Background checks are conducted. When specific authorization forms are requested so that full background and history can be obtained, employees/applicants must sign the form(s) requested.