Medical Records Assistant - Omaha (40 hours, Days, Mon-Fri)
Madonna Rehabilitation Hospital Omaha, NE
Job Title: Medical Records Assistant Job Code: 880214
At Madonna, we combine heartfelt hospitality with incomparable innovation and education. Our clinical expertise, world-class research and state of the art equipment empower us to help all patients, even those whose diagnoses pose the most complex challenges. Our investment in the exceptional talent, groundbreaking technology and progressive treatments is changing the face of rehabilitation!
Other hospitals treat patients, we change lives! Madonna Miracles and breakthrough moments happen every day; when patients who could not previously walk or speak independently, joyfully celebrate when they hear: â??Now You Can!â?
We are excited about the opportunity to partner with individuals who wish to enter health care! Now is the opportunity to be a part of something meaningful!
DEPARTMENT FUNCTION/JOB OVERVIEW
The Medical Records Assistant maintains medical records for all inpatients and outpatients including follow-up and completion of medical records. Prepare records for disclosure of information, off-site storage, and filing. Must be able to maintain strict confidentiality. Responsible for quality service delivery and internal/external customer relations for the department and Madonna as a whole, including the mission and values for the department and facility and/or system.
- Verify receipt of all medical records of discharged inpatients.
- Assemble medical records in established chart order.
- Perform concurrent or retrospective review of medical records to identify deficiencies. Obtain all information and signatures required to ensure compliance with regulations and standards and resolve deficiencies. Track deficiencies in chart deficiency system.
- Prepare medical records for: 1) supervisor review; 2) internal and external quality assurance studies; 3) external accrediting agencies (NDHHS, CARF, The Joint Commission, etc.); 4) external financial auditing organizations; 5) any other legitimate request.
- Coordinate off-site record storage process, including preparing medical records for off-site storage, maintaining an inventory of charts stored off-site, and ensuring the destruction is according to state standards.
- Disclose protected health information appropriately, when requested.
- Retrieve and prepare medical records for copying service.
- Initiate inpatient or outpatient file folder creation and labeling process.
- Initiate process of discharging outpatient charts according to specific guidelines.
- Receive, sort and file loose documentation in the appropriate medical record.
- Process incoming mail.
- File medical records in appropriate filing area (incomplete or permanent files) and track location.
- Physically rearrange files to maintain easy access to the most current charts.
- Ensure records are available for outpatient visits, including coordinating with courier service and outpatient staff.
- Communicate with appropriate individuals regarding the results of reviews; must be diplomatic and persuasive in presenting the expectation of good patient record documentation for compliance, customer satisfaction and revenue generation.
- Communicate with and advise Manager of situations which may impact department and facility.
- Provide access to medical records to authorized internal and external health care workers.
- Answer questions about the medical record content or patient stays at Madonna to authorized internal and external customers.
- Train and supervise volunteers.
- Take instruction from immediate supervisor to perform other functions as assigned in order to achieve the goals within the department.
- Operate copier and fax machine to provide medical record information when requested.
- Operate PC to access master patient index information, chart tracking and location information, and disclosure of information data.
- Maintain and assure a safe environment for the department. Handle and operate all necessary equipment and perform required duties according to established safety standards to maintain compliance with regulations and prevent injury.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS
- Sedentary work - lifting 25-30 pounds occasionally or lifting and carrying 25-30 pounds occasionally.
- Indoor work - not exposed to outside elements or hazard.
- Near acuity and accommodation are required for reviewing the medical records.
- Reaching, handling, and fingering and/or feeling are required for PC work and maintaining the medical record.
- Requires sufficient sight to see and read reports and computer screen. Requires sufficient hearing and speaking to communicate by phone or in person.
QUALIFICATIONS (Education/training and/or Experience)
High school diploma or equivalency with 1 year post-high school education in business school or college. Will consider additional work experience in lieu of formal post-high school education.
EXPERIENCE - Preferred
Preferred - One year medical records experience.
SKILLS - Required
Knowledge of medical terminology and medical records functions. Must be proficient in filing and be able to use good judgment to organize and maintain medical records according to institutional policy and state and accrediting agency standards. Must have excellent reading, grammar, and organizational skills.
Background checks are conducted. When specific authorization forms are requested so that full background and history can be obtained, employees/applicants must sign the form(s) requested.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY: Madonna is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
NOW YOU CAN: Turn your work into your lifeâ??s mission! See first-hand impact on members and their families! Love your job and your team! Go home at the end of the day knowing that you have made a difference!
EXAMPLES OF HOPE & HEALING FACEBOOK: https://www.facebook.com/Madonna.Rehabilitation.Hospitals
VIRTUAL TOUR: https://www.madonna.org/our-locations/virtual-tours
| Date Posted
May 16, 2020
| Date Closes
May 31, 2020
| Located In
Omaha-Madonna Main Campus
| SOC Category