Phlebotomist - Omaha PRN (days)
Madonna Rehabilitation Hospital Omaha, NE
Job Title: Phlebotomist PRN Job Code: 550036
Immediate Supervisor: Laboratory Manager Status: Non Exempt
DEPARTMENT FUNCTION/JOB OVERVIEW
Uses proper patient identification, collects clinical laboratory samples according to physician order or direction of other laboratory customers. Uses acceptable phlebotomy technique and instructs patients or other laboratory clients on proper specimen collection. Maintains confidentiality of all laboratory information. Contributes to the overall efficiency of the laboratory department by answering the phone, collecting specimens, assisting with the completion of all necessary paper work, and assisting other staff as needed. Responsible for quality service delivery and internal/external customer relations for the department and Madonna as a whole, including upholding the mission and values for the department and facility.
- Utilizes computer skills to include data entry, test ordering, sample receipt and report printing.
- Reorders supplies to ensure proper and adequate quantity of laboratory and office supplies.
- Reads laboratory and Madonna memos and e-mails to ensure knowledge is current.
- Works with the Laboratory Manager to ensure all regulations are met to pass various inspections by oversight agencies.
- Receives phone messages and responds appropriately to ensure laboratory efficiency.
- Responsible for ensuring complete phlebotomy Quality Assurance documentation.
- Courteously communicates with patient care unit staff to ensure accurate patient care information, including laboratory test orders and sample collection techniques.
- Confirms proper patient identification when approaching patients for collection, this includes using a kind and courteous approach.
- Instructs patients in techniques of specimen collection to ensure accurate and timely collections.
- Consistently carries the wireless phone and answers courteously.
- Participates in department meetings and committee activities at the department level.
- Collaborates with all internal and external customers and upholds Madonna's Mission and Values.
- Communicates patient care information in a confidential manner.
- Maintains communication with the direct supervisor, other department staff and models professional conduct in all settings.
- Takes instruction from supervisor to perform other functions as assigned in order to achieve the goals of the facility.
- Collects laboratory specimens for internal and reference laboratory testing using venipuncture.
- Collects urine drug screens as directed.
- Processes laboratory paperwork including but not limited to Madonna requisitions, send-out requisitions and specimen labels.
- Rotates supplies and checks expiration dates when restocking according to established par levels.
- Performs safe, timely, and accurate phlebotomy procedures according to laboratory standards of practice.
- Cleans laboratory areas as assigned to meet laboratory safety and infection control standards and image requirements.
- Safely handles and disposes of specimens according to laboratory regulations and infection control standards.
- Uses time wisely and contributes to the efficiency of the laboratory and Madonna.
- Responds to request for PRN hours in a timely manner by answering phone or e-mail messages. Fulfils requests by working when needed.
- Operates and tends to various non-medical machines such as; but not limited to, copier, FAX, wireless phone.
- Ensures cleanliness of equipment and environment.
- Maintains a clean, organized and safe environment. Handles and operates all necessary equipment and performs required duties according to established safety standards to maintain compliance with regulations and prevent injury.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS
- Requires sufficient sight to see and read labels, reports and computer screens.
- Requires sufficient hearing and speaking to communicate instructions by phone or in person.
- Ability to tolerate up to six-hour periods of constant standing or walking.
- Ability to do repetitive bending/reaching and sitting.
- Ability to do constant repetitive motion, using hands, fingers, and wrists to perform venipuncture.
- Ability to lift 10-35 pounds of supply material.
- Continual exposure to biological, mechanical, and electrical hazards.
- Daily contact with disease, odors and infectious waste.
- Frequent exposure to needles, both clean and contaminated.
- Requires emotional stamina to handle unexpected events, stressful deadlines and patient situations in a therapeutic manner.
- Ability to work independently, make decisions with minimal supervision and to problem solve.
QUALIFICATIONS (Education/training and/or Experience)
High School diploma or equivalent. Either formal or non-formal phlebotomy training. Computer skills highly desirable.
Background checks are conducted. When specific authorization forms are requested so that full background and history can be obtained, employees/applicants must sign the form(s) requested.
| Date Posted
February 1, 2019
| Date Closes
February 16, 2019
| Located In
Omaha-Madonna Main Campus
| SOC Category
This job is related other jobs in these career categories