Job Title: Long Term Care Manager Job Code: O7
I. DEPARTMENT FUNCTION/JOB OVERVIEW
Responsible for providing leadership for the Extended Care Unit and for the overall provision of resident care. Responsible for managing the resident care unit on a 24-hour a day 7-days per week basis. Responsible for orientation of all staff and for the continued education of the resident care staff on the assigned unit. Responsible for fiscal management with a focus on management of HPPD. Responsible for quality of care and quality of life on the assigned unit. Participates in quality assurance and project activities. Promotes positive image of long term care and geriatric nursing. Responsible for quality service delivery and internal/ external customer relations for the department and Madonna Rehabilitation Hospital as a whole, including upholding the mission and values for the department and facility.
II. ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- Assists in the development of resident care programs and operationalizes program innovations and change.
- Assists in the development of resident care delivery models with a focus on resident rights and resident self determination.
- Collaborates with interdisciplinary team members including dietary. Social Work, and activities to initiate new programs and resident care delivery models based on changing resident needs and regulatory standards.
- Coordinates operational change to meet new federal and state nursing facility regulations.
- Keeps informed of nursing facility regulations and interpretive guidelines.
- Coordinates medical record documentation changes to maintain compliance with nursing facility regulations and resident needs.
- Attends leadership classes and completes training classes as offered by the facility.
- Participates in quality assurance data collection, analysis and outcome improvement strategies.
- Maintains a resident care environment with a focus on quality of life in a personalized setting.
- Designs and implements process improvements to meet productivity standards related to HPPD management.
- Assists in planning and adheres to operational and capital budgets for the unit.
- Participates in revision of job descriptions and job standards for the discipline of nursing.
- Coordinates unit based student and volunteer experiences and activities.
- Meets deadlines for reports, performance appraisals, program development activities, and projects as stated in operational definitions or as directed by the supervisor.
- Writes reports using standard formats, develops and writes documents related to program activities, projects, unit activities and other assigned activities.
- Verbally communicates operational and educational topics in a variety of settings to internal and external audiences.
- Mentors all levels of staff for performance, conduct, and attendance improvement.
- Routinely organizes and conducts staff meetings to ensure timely communication to staff on operational, educational and informative topics.
- Coordinates, reviews and conducts performance appraisals to ensure that staff are appraised by the most knowledgeable direct supervisor, that the goals are measurable and individualized.
- Addresses staff problems quickly and fairly by mentoring for improvement and by taking appropriate disciplinary action. Collaborates with the Human Resources Manager or Director before disciplinary action is taken for performance and conduct issues.
- Assists in creation of staffing patterns and grids according to established HPPD using projected and actual census levels, designing staff level mix, keeping position control for the unit. Coordinates employee requisitions and change of status requests for unit staff.
- Interviews and hires for key positions.
- Assists in the design and implementation of a unit based orientation and education plan according to established Madonna and professional expectations and competency requirements.
- Demonstrates proficiency in geriatric knowledge base through staff mentoring and education.
- Performs other functions as assigned in order to achieve the goals within the department and/or system.
- Operates personal computer for clinical documentation and review, word processing, internal communication, and presentation design.
- Handles and operates clinical or medical equipment according to established safety standards.
- Operates office and educational equipment to assist with efficient communication.
- Maintain and ensure a safe environment for the department. Handles and operates all necessary equipment and performs required duties according to established safety standards to maintain compliance with regulations and prevent injury.
Medical devices used in work, include but not limited to:
stethoscope/sphygmomanometer transfer devices
Tympanic thermometer ear irrigation device
bladder volume instrument ear oximeter
digital wheelchair scale feeding pump
O2 bed scale
Glucometer paging system
tub chair lift humidifier
Aqua K Trauma tub
beds, wheelchairs, stretchers electronic thermometer
- Transport patient and obtain patient care equipment.
- Assist with patient transfers.
III. PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS
Light work - lifting 20 pounds occasionally, lifting and carrying 10 pounds frequently. May need to perform transfers with assistance as necessary for patients/employees of various sizes whose body weight may be up to 250 pounds.
Constant near visual acuity to evaluate and monitor personnel and patient care. Ordinary hearing and speaking skills.
Indoor work - Routinely exposed to biohazardous materials.
IV. QUALIFICATIONS (Education/training and/or Experience)
Person must possess sufficient knowledge and skill in the area of geriatric nursing to assess quality of service delivery, staff performance and needs of the unit. Person must possess leadership and organizational skills to effectively achieve positive results, and represent Madonna in the community in a positive manner. Must possess current Nebraska LPN Nursing licensure. Two years experience required in nursing management or clinical specialty.
Background checks are conducted. When specific authorization forms are requested so that full background and history can be obtained, employees/applicants must sign the form(s) requested.