Physician Assistant - Omaha (PRN)
Madonna Rehabilitation Hospital Omaha, NE
Job Title: Physician Assistant - PRN Job Code: 550093
DEPARTMENT FUNCTION/JOB OVERVIEW
The physician assistant functions as an independent practitioner under the supervision of a physician. The physician assistant assists assigned medical staff using discretion and independent judgement with clinical duties to include history and physicals, ongoing clinical assessments, rehabilitation treatment planning, medical management, and discharge summaries. Administrative and management functions include participation in interdisciplinary team meetings and assigned program development committees. Responsible for quality service delivery and internal/external customer relations for Madonna as a whole, including upholding the mission and values for the department and facility.
- Completes initial history and physical within defined time parameters.
- On day of discharge, reviews patient's chart and dictates discharge summary to include brief summary of history, physical exam, diagnosis, treatment course, pertinent laboratory and radiology, discharge medications, condition on discharge and disposition of patient.
- Uses dictation and/or EHR system for documentation of pertinent clinical data.
- Actively participates with interpretation, analysis, and program improvement initiatives utilizing program evaluation and quality assurance data.
- Evaluates laboratory and other clinical data and takes appropriate action for medical followup.
- Performs detailed complete history and physical examination to include health history and current reason for admission.
- Order diagnostic tests.
- Completes assessment and recommendation of rehabilitation goal and plan.
- Evaluates and treats medical problems in accordance with established protocols, using discretion and consulting assigned physician to deal with issues outside the nurse practitioner / physicians assistantâ??s scope of practice
- Consults with physician in all emergencies and/or potentially life threatening conditions.
- Makes daily rounds of assigned patients.
- Takes part in on-call rotation with appropriate physician back-up.
- Writes orders for medications consistent with scope of practice, therapy orders, laboratory, radiology, or other medical followup.
- Provides care for patients on an outpatient basis as assigned.
- Participates in the staffing of an employee clinic.
- Follows instruction from supervisor to perform other functions as assigned in order to achieve the goals within the department and/or system.
- Ability to access clinical information using Sunrise clinical system.
- Maintain and ensure a safe working environment. Handles and operates all necessary equipment and performs required duties according to established safety standards to maintain compliance with regulations and prevent injury.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS
- Medium work with frequent lifting. Manual patient transfer or reposition does not exceed the equivalent of 35 pounds of force to lift, push or pull. Requires sufficient strength to produce 50 pounds of force to push a wheelchair with a 300-pound individual on level surfaces.
- Constant walking with a maximum duration of up to 30 minutes sustained walking on tile, carpet, and other surfaces. Must tolerate frequent standing with sustained periods of up to 1 hour on tile, carpet, and shower surfaces. Must tolerate frequent sitting with sustained periods of up to 1 hour. Frequent reaching with both arms at low, waist, and high levels. Frequent grasping of both hands for transfers and repositioning requiring normal grip strength based on national averages. Frequent stooping, bending, and twisting are required for patient care.
- Constant near visual acuity to evaluate and monitor patients.
- Ordinary hearing and speaking skills.
- May be potential exposure to biohazardous materials.
- Protective clothing â?? frequently wears gloves and occasionally wears gown and mask.
QUALIFICATIONS (Education/training and/or Experience)
Masterâ??s Degree in Physician Assistant Studies from an accredited school or university and current Physicians Assistant License from Nebraska required. Must be CPR Certified, ACLS preferred. Two years rehabilitation or acute care hospital experience required.
Background checks are conducted. When specific authorization forms are requested so that full background and history can be obtained, employees/applicants must sign the form(s) requested.
| Date Posted
June 17, 2018
| Date Closes
July 2, 2018
| Located In
| SOC Category