Iowa School for the Deaf
Principal - 2023/2024 school year
Be part of a highly qualified team providing educational services to Deaf and hard-of-hearing students. Responsibilities include leadership of education programs, coordination of academic activities, and collaboration with other departments in order to provide quality education for all students.
Send resume, cover letter, three professional references, and copies of credentials and transcripts to: Human Resources; IESBVI; 3501 Harry Langdon Blvd; Council Bluffs, IA 51503 Additional information and job posting available at Current Openings
Contact Human Resources at Phone: 712-366-3283 (V); 712-828-0714 (V/text); 712-250-6849 (VP); Email: email@example.com
A school administrator is an educational leader who promotes the success of all students by accomplishing the following competencies.
1. Facilitates the development, articulation, implementation, and stewardship of a vision of learning that is shared and supported by the school community.
2. Advocates, nurtures, and sustains a school culture and instructional program conducive to student learning and staff professional growth.
3. Ensures management of the organization, operations, and resources for a safe, efficient, and effective learning environment.
4. Collaborates with families and community members, responds to diverse community interests and needs, and mobilizes community resources.
5. Acts with integrity, fairness, and in an ethical manner.
6. Understands, responds to, and influences the larger political, social, economic, legal, and cultural context.
Primary Function: The Principal is an instructional leader for the education program at Iowa School for the Deaf (ISD) which serves students pre-school through transition to adult life. The Principal works collaboratively with other administrators and the Superintendent to provide a comprehensive educational program for students. The Principal is the direct line administrative authority and professional leader of the department’s staff and students. Responsibilities include leadership of education programs, coordination of academic activities, and collaboration with other departments in order to provide quality education for all students.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities:
· Provides instructional and curricular leadership to department staff.
· Provides leadership to the School Improvement Team process including implementation of strategic initiatives for enhancing student progress.
· Provides leadership in the collection, analysis and reporting of student performance data.
· Provides leadership in evaluating the effectiveness of programs and services.
· Reviews and evaluates the effectiveness of each staff member and coaches for improved performance.
· Works with the Director of Human Resources in the recruiting and hiring of teachers.
· Leads in the coordination and monitoring of special education procedures and the IEP and/or Transition Plan process.
· Leads in the coordination and monitoring of the provisions of a language rich environment.
· Works in cooperation with the other ISD administrative personnel in the campus wide coordination of services and student activities.
· Work in partnership with the various school districts and Area Education Agencies in the provision of services including integrated experiences for students.
· Develops, reviews, and implements programs to accommodate a varied student population and leads the development and implementation of the Iowa Core and Expanded Core Curriculums.
· Assumes overall responsibility for the scheduling of classes, evaluation, promotion, and progress of students in the department.
· Provides overall development and management of the departmental budget.
· Coordinates support services, such as speech therapy, audiology and other services.
· Collaborates with other educational administrators to leads professional development in collaboration with a team and assists staff in developing and implementing individual professional development plans utilizing the Iowa Professional Development Model.
· Facilitates implementation of the School’s Policies and Procedures.
· Coordinates practicum and student teaching programs.
· Performs other duties as assigned.
· Minimum of three years teaching experience
· Masters Degree in Education or related field
· Preference for deaf education experience and education
· An in-depth understanding of the fundamental principles in education with an emphasis on education of the deaf
· Fluency in sign language and ability to attain a minimum of an advanced level of proficiency or above on the Sign Language Proficiency Interview.
· Valid Administrator licensure [Initial, Professional, or Exchange] issued by the Iowa Board of Educational Examiners.
· Commitment to the philosophy of high-quality educational opportunities and communication access for all students.
· The ability to establish professional relationships and effectively communicate with both deaf and hearing individuals.
Salary and Benefits: Salary will be determined by the successful candidate’s educational and experiential qualifications. A comprehensive benefit package is available.
Position Details: Full time, 12 month appointment. Work at the Iowa School for the Deaf campus in Council Bluffs, Iowa. Position starts prior to 2023-2024 school year – preferably during July 2023. Criminal and other relevant background checks required. Applications will be accepted beginning immediately.
Iowa Educational Services for the Blind and Visually Impaired / Iowa Braille and Sight Saving School is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. A Board of Regents, State of Iowa Program.
|Date Posted||March 27, 2023|
|Date Closes||April 26, 2023|
|Located In||Council Bluffs, IA|
|Job Type||Full-time Employee|
|SOC Category||11-9032.00 Education Administrators, Elementary and Secondary School|
|Address||3501 Harry Langdon Blvd|
|City, State and Zip||Council Bluffs, IA 51503|
This job offers the following benefits
This job is related other jobs in these career categories