Early Childhood Assistant Teacher
Job Summary: Provides a safe and effective learning environment for children in accordance with the philosophy and mission of the Nebraska Children’s Home Society.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Interacts with children in a professional and positive manner by;
- Participating actively with the children;
- Creating atmosphere of enthusiasm and commitment;
- Preparing meals, serving, monitoring and cleanup;
- Assisting in toilet training when necessary and clean-up activities;
- Maintains a safe environment by:
- Recognizing and acting against hazards to safety;
- Keeping a clean center by vacuuming, dusting, dishes, etc;
- Assisting in minor building and grounds upkeep.
- Displays good social and communication skills by:
- Supporting peers;
- Communicating effectively with parents, peers and supervisors;
- Answering phones and communicating with consumers appropriately.
- Participates in staff training.
- Completes program-orientation within 60 days.
- Completes the State’s required in-service training satisfactorily.
- Completes First-Aid and CPR training, and maintains certification.
- Attends all staff meetings.
- When asked, completes job position evaluation with Child Care.
- Demonstrates respect, appreciation, and sensitivity for diversity.
- Participates within Continuous Quality Improvement.
Qualifications and Requirements:
Minimum education and experience:
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Have a high school diploma or GED; and 1500 verified clock hours of experience in organized group activities for young children as indicated by a positive reference from a former employer or supervisor; or written plan for Department approval to acquire at least three credit hours or 45 clock hours of training in administration, early childhood education,education, or child/youth development, in a period not to exceed six months.
- Knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Knows issues related to early childhood development;
- Able to follow regulations and procedures;
- Able to read, discern, and interpret client information;
- Able to handle situations with sensitivity and objectivity
- Displays strong interpersonal skills and communication;
- Utilizes basic computer skills and able to learn program-specific applications;
- Able to work independently toward goal achievement
- Possesses driver’s license and personal vehicle
- Physical demands:
- Walk, sit climb, talk, hear, and use hands and fingers to operate, handle or feel objects and equipment.
- Operate office equipment
- Lift objects up to 75 pounds.
- Schedule demands (travel, adjustments to accommodate clients, weekends/evenings, etc.):
- May be required to adjust normal work schedule to meet client needs.
- Site factors (work location, environment, travel, etc.):
- Office in Omaha.
- Will spend small amounts of time outside year round.
- May travel locally to accommodate client needs, obtain supplies, etc.
Note: The physical demands and work environment characteristics described above are representative of those that will be encountered by a person performing the essential duties and responsibilities of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
Salary/Wage: $15.20 - 17.25/hour
** Hours are Monday - Friday 830am - 500pm.
Benefits and Perks of Working at NCHS:
- We observe 9 paid holidays each calendar year
- NCHS offers generous and flexible vacation
- As advocates for mental health, we offer 5 well being days each year
- We understand the importance of family. We are flexible and offer additional paid time for sick, bereavement, or new child leave needs for you and your family.
- Fair and equal pay is important to us.
- NCHS contributes 5% of your salary after one year of employment towards your 401k; full vestment after 5 years.
- Referral bonuses for employees who refer qualified candidates
- Medical, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance
- We offer 5 free counseling sessions each year through our Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Career development
How to Apply
Interested candidates should visit https://www.nchs.org/careers, locate this position, and click on "Apply Now" beneath the job description to complete the online application form. The application must be completed in full and submitted by the specified closing date for consideration.