SouthernCarlson is a semi-autonomous subsidiary of Kyocera Corporation, a Japanese conglomerate that distributes construction material and packaging supplies throughout its 150 plus locations across the US, Canada, and Mexico. The business was built through acquisitions with a “Like and Trust” mentality and a collaborative culture that brings together the leading players in our industry. We are considered an Essential Business and have been growing through the 2020 period and are making great strides toward building a flexible work environment for 2021.
FP&A Manager Position Overview
The FP&A manager role is ideal for a highly motivated individual who functions with confidence and expertise in a rapidly changing business environment. The Manager will have direct interaction with senior executives and will collaborate closely with functional leaders across the organization. The Manager will prepare and analyze the financial performance and key metrics of the business, prepare annual budgets and short-term financial forecasts, monitor actual-to-budget performance, develop insightful financial data, and offer strategies for process and systems improvements.
While this is a numbers-oriented role, it requires a tremendous amount of refined communication skills and the ability to forge close professional relationships to favorably influencing business performance. The FP&A manager must be able to clearly explain financial details and concepts in lay terms to a large, dispersed “blue collar” workforce. They must be able to supply every operational department with revenue and expense targets and inspire them to stay on task. He or she must be able to supply the CFO with a clear projection of what is going to happen, financially, in the next quarter, year, and five years - accounting for things like one-time expenses and possible fluctuations in net sales.
FP&A requires data consolidation and variance analysis - the ability to think into the future (see “around corners” or “beyond the horizon”) and weigh the possible scenarios and bring all the theoretical information down to earth with tangible reports on key metrics. The ability to simplify financial information to benefit leadership and decision-making is the daily domain of the FP&A manager. The ideal candidate is results-driven, possesses a strong drive to exceed personal goals, and is naturally inclined to anticipate risks, take ownership of challenges, and make sound decisions.
The FP&A manager’s general responsibilities include:
- Preparation of annual budget, quarterly and monthly forecasts and ad hoc financial analysis
- Provide financial insights for periodic business reviews with senior management.
- Define and support the implementation of profitability improvement and cost optimization strategies at all levels of the organization
- Develop successful business partnership with Sales and Operations leaders and key partners by setting short and long term financial and operating targets
- Anticipate questions about financial projections and results and provide preemptive answers to company leaders
- Ensure alignment with corporate standards in terms of accounting, reporting, internal policies and procedures, including external regulations
- Work towards the simplification and automation of finance operations
- Background in public accounting, Big 4 preferred
- Experience working with private equity-owned businesses, including rigorous reporting requirements (detailed weekly, monthly and quarterly financial statements as well as operational dashboards)
- Ability to influence and work effectively with all types of employees and senior company executives
- Experience working for a company or industry that employs a dispersed, large “blue collar” workforce
- Combination of entrepreneurial spirit and corporate sophistication; a team player that can create a proactive environment to drive results
- Bachelor's degree in business, finance, economics or similar required; MBA/CPA is a plus
- 5+ years of progressive experience in finance or related field with prior management experience
- Ability to travel up to 50% to various branch locations throughout the country.