Develops new liquid, powder or solid beauty products and duplicates competitive products to meet or exceed customer or company specifications.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Interpret project briefs, descriptions and requests and develop chemical components and formula combinations to meet or exceed targets.
- Meet with suppliers as the technical expert for product information, collecting newest developments and formulating appropriate applications.
- Assemble chemicals and materials into laboratory batches and test formulas for efficacy/performance.
- Modify, substitute, and reformulate materials to meet highest level of customer expectations, and quality while achieving formulation cost targets.
- Evaluate alternate chemical suppliers.
- Enter and review formulas in computer system.
- Trouble shoot formula issues related to manufacturing/compounding.
- Monitor priorities achieving deadlines, as directed by R&D Manager, according to production demands, customer needs and company interests.
- Maintain professional expertise through individual study, continuing education and professional development.
- Must communicate progress, problems and needs with management, vendors, customers as appropriate.
- Communicate effectively with others.
- Maintain a good attendance record.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional Expectation: Perform other duties as assigned.
- Minimum of 5-10 years’ experience in research and development of personal care, pet care or household and industrial products.
- Make decisions autonomously on complex projects.
- Function as a lead and mentor to junior chemists.
- Apply technical expertise and knowledge base gained from prior experience to generate new ideas that lead to innovative and proprietary materials and products.
- R&D formulation experience working in relevant category(s), such as hair care, hair styling, hot fill, hair color for a minimum of 3 years.
- Must be able to lead and understand big picture and in-depth technical details related to program responsibilities.
- Understand and drive cross functional work with Sales, Production, Regulatory and Quality.
- Train and Supervise Lab Tech and junior chemists, on an as needed basis.
Required Education, Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- B.S. degree in Chemistry, Biology or other physical science.
- Comprehensive knowledge of laboratory procedures, testing instrumentation, and experimental design and controls.
Preferred Knowledge, Certifications, Skills, Abilities:
- Advanced analytical skills – Excel, statistics and DOE
- Specific training or experience in OSHA regulations and laboratory safety.
- Oral and written communication skills should be at advanced levels.
- Comprehensive knowledge of product development process (3+ yrs experience in a product development environment).
- 6 months to 1 year of supervisory experience.
- Training in Total Quality Management or quality control techniques.
- Primarily lab environment – climate controlled.
- Visits to:
- Warehouse environment – some temperature extremes, dust and noise.
- Manufacturing environment - some temperature extremes, dust, noise and wet.
The specific statements shown in each section of this description are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements and criteria considered necessary to perform the job successfully. Marianna recognizes that an individual with a disability may require an accommodation to enable him/her to successfully perform a job function. Consideration will be given to reasonable accommodations.