Kemper Equipment, Inc., a leading aggregate and material handling and processing manufacturer of over 40 years, has a challenging and rewarding opportunity for a qualified individual looking to make an impact. Do you have a strong technical and mechanical background in steel fabrication and heavy-duty equipment manufacturing? Can you work independently or in a team setting, enjoy fabrication project coordination, and excel at leading a team of shop employees? Not only will this candidate be working for a solid and growing company but with great people who are ready to do what it takes to help you, your team, and the company be successful. After reviewing the position details below and finding you have what it takes, don’t hold back.
Production Fabrication Manager
Full-Time – Salaried - Exempt position
40+ hour work week – Saturdays as required
This position will be responsible for and safely and effectively lead the daily operations of our shop - steel fabrication of bulk material conveyors, equipment support structures and towers, platforms and walkways, chutes, bins, and other miscellaneous steel structures/weldments, equipment production/assembly, maintenance, implementation and adherence of policies and procedures, while maximizing safety, quality, production, and profitability.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Positive, proactive, and effective leadership, oversight, and development of direct shop reports including foreman, fabricators, welders, machine operators, painters, assemblers, and others.
- Plan, organize, and direct optimum day-to-day operations. Responsibility for production output, product quality, and on-time shipping of multiple, concurrent projects in a fast-paced environment.
- Planning and processing of fabrication materials, consumables, inventory, and daily work schedules to meet project needs. Allocate resources effectively and fully utilize assets to produce optimal results.
- Handle all technical requirements related to fabrication.
- Increase production and asset capacity and flexibility while minimizing unnecessary costs and maintaining current quality standards.
- Ensure adherence and implementation of quality and safety standards and improvements to our fabrications and products
- Implement strategies in alignment with strategic initiatives and provide a clear sense of direction and focus
- Monitor operations and trigger corrective actions
- Train and develop employees and standard procedures to improve project performance, shop efficiency, and safety
- Assist in project estimates and target delivery timeframes from a fabrication standpoint
- Daily collaboration with other departments including engineering and operations/purchasing to ensure proper workflow.
- Develop systems and processes that track and optimize productivity and standards, metrics, and performance targets to ensure effective return on assets
- Be committed, promote, and execute shop safety procedures, practices, and training to maintain a safe working environment.
- Provide expertise to both internal and external stakeholders.
- Ensure plant equipment is in proper functioning order
- Share and actively contribute to a positive, trusting culture with the workgroup.
- Assist HR with hiring processes, managing, and developing plant staff
- Address employee concerns and issues in a proper and respectful manner
- Provide Ownership and Management with future planning and improvement recommendations
- Execute capital improvement projects as necessary
- Maintain excellent, professional verbal and written communication and interaction with other departments and members of Kemper as well as external vendors and customers.
- Work closely with HR
Required Ability to Use or Operate the following:
- Standard office equipment such as computer and keyboard, calculator, phone, copier, fax machine, and the like.
- Proficient use of Microsoft Outlook/Excel/Word, AutoCAD, and ERP software.
- Knowledge, use, and maintenance of standard steel fabrication equipment, such as basic and pneumatic hand tools, sanders, grinders, saws, drills, drill presses, welding equipment, press brakes, plasma tables, drill lines, angle lines, cutters, measuring tools, forklifts, overhead crane, rough terrain yard crane, various other material handling and fabrication equipment.
- Associate or BS degree in either Business Management, Welding, Engineering, or related field, or
- Proven experience and track record of 5+ years in managing a steel fabrication facility or related field
- Strong knowledge of business and management principals (budgeting, strategic planning, and resource allocation)
- Solid understanding of work optimization techniques and time management
- Strong leadership, team building, decision-making, and people management skills
- Strong knowledge of safety procedures
- Must be able to read and interpret documents, such as blueprints, drawings, plans, policies, diagrams, tables, DWG related prints, etc.
- Must have mathematical and numeric knowledge/skills related to the measuring and estimating of weights, heights, calculating numbers, solving spatial problems
- Must have knowledge of materials and a strong understanding of metals and equipment
- Must be organized and have good communication
- Must have good computer skills: MS Office, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.
Working knowledge and/or proficiency in the following area(s):
- Fabrication, AISC Standards
- Welding, AWS Standards
- Rigging and handling
- Shipping and Receiving
- Inventory Control
- Various steel fabrication plant equipment
- CNC programming
- Estimation/Engineering related