This is a superb opportunity for a Network Engineer who is looking to gain more varied, interesting work experience in a complex environment that goes beyond the needs of a typical business. If you have 3 or more years of networking experience, and communicate well with your teammates, we’d love to talk with you! We are a Higher Education group who offer competitive benefits, (to include educational benefits) and a great opportunity for development and growth. Salary range: $55k - $75k + benefits.
The Network Engineer’s role is to ensure the stable & secure operation of our data & telecommunications network across all our locations including data center and recovery site. This includes planning, installing, configuring, maintaining, supporting, and optimizing all network infrastructure & integrating technologies from various virtualized server, storage and security vendors.
This position reports to the Director of IT Operations and actively coordinates with the Systems Engineer on the daily, routine and complex network and system administration & maintenance, including identity management, hardware and software upgrades, performance tuning, security and systems recovery. The incumbent works with other members of the IT staff, partners and members of the extended community to ensure that all network appliances, interfaces and systems are up to date. The incumbent ensures that there is sufficient documentation of the environment, including but not limited to network architecture, backup, recovery and restoration processes, security policies and change management. They also monitor network performance and screen for attempted intrusions as well implement appropriate security measures and procedures. They must keep abreast of new technologies that improve reliability, efficiency, availability and security of the communications environment. Completes work orders within established service level objectives and is on-call for mission-critical issues.
- Works on enterprise-wide projects/systems/issues of small to high complexity.
- Provides operations support, maintenance and administration for network systems.
- Collaborates with cross-functional teams in the short and long-range planning, technical design, operation, and day-to-day support of the enterprise network, campus data centers, warm back-up site and telecommunication infrastructure.
- Determines requirements and communicates impact on existing architecture, work processes and systems.
- Collaborates with the design and implementation and oversees the maintenance of security solutions, including intrusion prevention, firewall, VPN, wireless controllers, anti-virus, and anti-spam systems.
- Oversees incident and problem management, coordinates change management and initial response to network and data center security and continuity events.
- Ensures policies and best practices governing IT Service Management, including those concepts addressed through the IT Infrastructure Library (ITIL) are enforced on the network.
- Manages all network hardware and equipment, including routers, firewalls, switches, security appliances, wireless appliances and UPS.
- Ensures wide area, local area and remote network connectivity of all workstations, servers, mobile devices, IoT, network storage and appliances.
- Maintains thorough network documentation.
- Configures, tests, automates, integrates, models, analyzes, validates and reports on the health of the network infrastructure within the IT ecosystem.
- Administers all equipment, hardware and software upgrades.
- Performs network design, preventative maintenance and capacity planning.
- Conducts research on network products, services, protocols, and standards to determine feasibility, cost, time required and compatibility with current environment.
- Interacts and collaborate with vendors, outsourcers, and contractors to secure network products and services.
- Practices network asset management, including maintenance of network component inventory and related documentation and technical specifications information.
- Completes assigned incident, problem and change management cases and meets or exceed service level agreements with end users.
- Assists with the Administration and maintenance of end user accounts, permissions, group policies, and access rights.
- Receives and respond to incoming calls, pages/alerts, e-mails and web helpdesk requests regarding network connectivity problems.
- Performs network and IT security audits.
- Performs network appliance and system backups and recovery.
- Recommends, schedules, and performs network improvements, upgrades, and repairs.
- Provides training and guidance to student workers and other members of the team.
Our ideal candidate will have (but we are flexible with some of these):
- Bachelor’s degree or technical degree/certificate in the field of computer science, information systems or related field
- Typically requires 3-5 years of relevant networking work experience.
- Experience with a wide variety of networking technologies required.
- Able to breakdown raw information and undefined problems into specific workable components that clearly identify the issues at hand. Makes logical conclusions, anticipates obstacles and considers different approaches that are relevant to decision making.
- Collaborates with other team members of formal and informal groups in the pursuit of our mission, vision, values and common goals.
- Improves organizational performance through the application of original thinking to existing and emerging methods, processes products and services.
- Expresses technical and business concepts, ideas, feelings, opinions and conclusions orally and in writing.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
NOTE: This employer is unable to extend visa sponsorship now or in the future. Candidates requiring sponsorship will not be considered.