Work hard, play hard…what does that mean? At Heritage Communities our team members’ days are busy and full, as we strive to enhance the lives of our residents. Yet, during each task and in between, you’ll find moments of connection, laughter at shared jokes, wisdom passed along through advice and joyful interactions. If you’re ready to work hard and play hard, we invite you to apply today!
The Maintenance Assistant/Driver is responsible for community and grounds maintenance, safety and resident transportation services. The incumbent completes various safety, equipment and building maintenance activities and repairs to ensure that building, equipment, community property and grounds are well-maintained. The incumbent ensures quality services and complies with company policies, local, state and federal regulations and supports the advancement of our business strategy. The Maintenance Assistant/Driver promotes a positive culture that focuses on our core values of Compassion, Trust, Respect and Fun for residents and associates.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Promote a positive, inclusive culture through demonstrated behaviors that are aligned with our Core Values of Compassion, Respect, Trust and Fun.
- Establish and evolve positive relationships with residents, families, associates, OnCare Home Health, regulatory agencies, vendors and third-party providers.
- Assist in readying associates and community for inspection by regulatory agencies through regular quality assessments, completing corrective actions, accurate and current record keeping practices, policy compliance, emergency preparedness, etc.
- Follow operational processes, procedures and best practices that meet state requirements and ensure consistent processes are applied throughout the community.
- Ensure proper record keeping practices including work orders, certifications and scheduling.
- Complete maintenance schedules for building(s) and grounds. Ensure quality repairs including painting, carpet cleaning, installation of towel racks, cabinets, shelves and other work to recondition apartments. Ensure parking and walkways are free from ice, snow and debris.
- Assist in safety preparedness of associates and residents. Participate in Safety Committee Meetings, fire drills and other emergency exercises.
- Transport residents via company car, van or other vehicle to appointments, events, store and other locations. Maintain vehicle records.
- Ensure community building, work areas, grounds, property, etc. are maintained at the highest standard.
- Maintain a safe, sanitary and hazard-free community environment through the prevention of accidents, preservation of equipment and safe work practices.
Education and Experience
- 1+ years of maintenance experience in a senior living or related industry role or equivalent education required.
- 1+ years of experience completing minor repairs, painting, grounds maintenance and operating applicable tools and equipment required.
- 1+ years of experience operating maintenance-related tools and equipment.
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Must be at least 21 years of age to provide resident transportation and/or serve alcoholic beverages at community events.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and acceptable driving record. Chauffer’s license is required for those jobs located in the state of Iowa.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to work and communicate effectively with diverse groups including colleagues, clients and various business contacts at various levels ranging from front-line employees to senior executives.
- Demonstrated ability to promote a culture of Compassion, Trust, Respect and Fun and operates in the spirit and advocacy for our seniors.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to navigate challenging and ambiguous situations involving emotions or conflict.
- Creative problem solving, negotiation and persuasion skills.
- Some experience or knowledge of business software programs such as Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
Work takes place in a typical office or community environment equipped with a computer, phone and other office supplies. Work also takes place in the outdoor environment.
Work environment may involve exposure to extreme heat or cold.
Position may also involve exposure to latex, infections and communicable diseases.
Must be able to assist residents with limited mobility and move equipment or materials weighing up to 50 pounds intermittently throughout the day.
Must be able to move throughout the community and grounds to complete assessments and assignments. Work assignments may be located at floor level or extended reach heights exceeding 15 feet.