Work hard, play hard…what does that mean? At Heritage Communities our team members’ days are busy and full, as we strive to enhance the lives of our residents. Yet, during each task and in between, you’ll find moments of connection, laughter at shared jokes, wisdom passed along through advice and joyful interactions. If you’re ready to work hard and play hard, we invite you to apply today!
The Dining Services Director is responsible for the leadership, management and oversight of community kitchen operations and dining services. The incumbent manages a team of cooks and dining servers and ensures a superior dining services experience. The incumbent ensures compliance with company policies, local, state and federal regulations and supports the advancement of our business strategy. The Dining Services Director champions a positive culture that focuses on our core values of Compassion, Trust, Respect and Fun for residents and associates.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Inspire dining services team to provide excellent customer service and achieve operational excellence and census goals and financial goals.
- Cultivate a positive, inclusive culture through demonstrated behaviors that are aligned with our Core Values of Compassion, Respect, Trust and Fun.
- Establish and evolve positive relationships with residents, families, associates, OnCare Home Health, regulatory agencies, vendors and third-party providers.
- Proactively lead, direct and oversee dining services team in accordance with company expectations and local, state and federal standards and regulations. Readies associates and community for inspection by regulatory agencies through regular quality assessments, completing corrective actions, accurate and current record keeping practices, policy compliance, emergency preparedness, etc.
- Implement operational processes, procedures and best practices that meet state requirements and ensure consistent processes are applied throughout the community.
- Effectively identify, investigate, navigate and resolve resident, employee, management and operational issues.
- Ensure dining services team is sufficiently staffed with highly engaged and trained associates. Network, recruit, hire, onboard, train, develop, supervise and performance manage associates in accordance with company policies.
- Ensure proper record keeping practices for team including certifications, scheduling, training and annual performance and wage reviews.
- Assess and monitor staff in-service training needs, facilitate or plan in-service training accordingly. Ensure associates are well-trained, knowledgeable and competent in performance of job duties and applicable safety procedures.
- Oversee and monitor supply inventory, department budget, overtime and staff scheduling to ensure operational efficiencies and quality.
- Plan and execute menus for daily meals, catering and special events. Modify the menus based upon food trends, costs, seasonal availability, dietary restrictions and resident preferences.
- Oversee kitchen inventory and ordering of ingredients, supplies and small equipment. Ensure necessary ingredients are available and fresh to minimize spoilage and waste.
- Ensure proper ingredients, supplies, equipment and staff are readily available to deliver a high-quality meal and dining experience.
- Maintain a safe, sanitary and hazard-free community environment through the prevention of accidents, preservation of equipment and safe work practices.
- Ensure dining services associates are well-informed about community and company news, information, activities, policies/procedures, deadlines, etc.
- As a member of the community leadership team, the incumbent will serve as on-call contact.
- Direct supervision of community dining services team and serves as a community leader.
Education and Experience
- 1+ years of experience in a senior living or related industry preferred.
- 3+ years of experience working as an Executive Chef or Dietary Manager in a senior living or related industry required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Restaurant Management or related field preferred.
- Must be at least 21 years of age to provide resident transportation and/or serve alcoholic beverages at community events.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and acceptable driving record.
- Must be Serve Safe certified.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to work and communicate effectively with diverse groups including colleagues, clients and various business contacts at various levels ranging from front-line employees to senior executives.
- Demonstrated ability to lead a team that champions a culture of Compassion, Trust, Respect and Fun and operates in the spirit and advocacy for our seniors.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to navigate challenging and ambiguous situations involving emotions or conflict.
- Creative problem solving, negotiation and persuasion skills.
- Possess operational knowledge of all departments of a senior living community including operations, sales and marketing, dining services, life enrichment, environmental services, maintenance, human resources, etc.
- Ability to manage detailed, complex concepts and problems and make sound decisions regarding residents, families, associates or other administrative issues.
- Strong technical skills with knowledge of business software programs including Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Ability to maintain confidential and privileged information that involves HIPPA, residents, associates.
Work takes place primarily in a dining and kitchen environment. Also works in an office equipped with a computer, phone and other office supplies. Work may also take place in the outdoor environment.
Work environment may involve exposure to extreme heat or cold.
Position may also involve exposure to latex, infections and communicable diseases.
Must be able to assist residents with limited mobility, move equipment or materials and lift/push/pull up to 50 pounds intermittently throughout the day.