Title: Network Engineer
Direct Report: Director of Information Technology
Education Experience: College degree in relevant field is preferred but not required. 3-5 years in the network-engineering field may be substituted.
Scott Data Center works with all aspects of Information Technology, from basic workstations to advanced infrastructure implementations. This engineer will be able to comfortably work on routers, switches, firewalls, network design, and network troubleshooting in a multi VLAN LAN/WAN environment.
Candidates will have most of the skills and experience with the items stated below:
Infrastructure hardware as it relates to client equipment
- Wireless controllers and access points
- Web filtering and IPS
Infrastructure hardware as it related to network core and wide area networking
- Switch configuration (layer 2 and layer 3 switching, VLAN configuration, QoS policies, trunking, link aggregation, Voice / VOIP prioritization.
- Router configuration planning and deployment, advanced knowledge of routing protocols and site resiliency planning, policy-based routing, QoS deployment, policing , traffic shaping, and router redundancy configurations.
- Experience with multi-homed router configurations for carrier redundancy and experience with BGP.
- Firewall configuration in high availability pair, access-list and NAT, DMZ configurations, client VPN implementation, TACACS/Radius for user management.
Cisco related duties may involve:
- Catalyst series switches and VSS
- Nexus 9k and Fabric Extenders
- ASR and ASA
- IOS upgrades, IOS entitlement system, Smartnet, lifecycle management
- VPN, two-factor authentication
- Wireless controllers and Access points
- Prime Infrastructure
- Cisco ISE
Other hardware manufacturer routers and firewalls
- Juniper, Checkpoint, Sonicwall, Fortinet, etc.
SIP / VOIP systems: Install and support (Avaya)
Network security including all aspects of LAN, WAN, Wireless, Firewall security (port forwarding, access-lists), VPNs and IPSec.
Setup and maintaining SNMP network monitors.
Layer 1 Cabling:
- Copper terminations, cross connects, patching and testing.
- Singlemode / Multimode fiber cross connects, patching and testing.
- Label management and cable management.
- Documentation for Inside and Outside plant cabling, port, and patching.
This individual should also have had the following experiences:
- 5 + years experience in the IT support / MSP service industry
Although not requirements, other desirable attributes include:
- College degree in technical or business, or equivalent industry experience
- Network+, Advanced Microsoft Certifications, MCSE, MCITP, CCNA, CCDA, CCNP, CCIE, CISSP, ISSAP
- Industry certifications from manufacturer/vendors such as Microsoft, Dell, AVAYA, and Cisco.
- Willingness and ability to learn or cross-train on a variety of technologies (hardware & software) to include but not limited to: All Microsoft Windows versions, physical & virtual environments, active directory administration, IP cameras/ security systems, building management controls systems, and backup / disaster recovery planning.