Our Training Class Instructors instruct public dog training classes and conduct private lessons which are solely focused on positive reinforcement methods.
Title: Training Class Instructor
This position reports to: Director of Community Training
Part-time; 6-8 hours/week
Schedule TBD; evening and weekends
This position description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees are required to follow any other job related duties assigned by their supervisor. This document does not create an employment contract implied or otherwise, and does not alter the “at will” relationship.
- Lead instructor for the majority of classes offered through the Nebraska Humane Society
- Monitor all supplies and handouts in all training areas to maintain appropriate supplies
- Perform any and all other duties as assigned by the Director of Community Training & Behavior
- Minimum of 1 year experience of direct dog training instruction
- Minimum of 1 year customer service experience
- Understands basic animal behavior and body language and possesses strong dog handling skills
- Knowledge of the items of the Canine Good Citizen test
- Evident knowledge of effective positive training techniques, applications and tools
- Strong desire to train people in addition to animals and has a creative and positive attitude working with people and their dogs
- Must adhere to highest ethical standards; possess trustworthiness, exercise maturity and sound independent judgment while maintaining a professional manner and personal appearance
- Ability to clearly communicate verbally and in writing
- Must have valid driver’s license with acceptable driving record and be able to provide proof of vehicle insurance
- Be comfortable and skilled working with a culturally diverse staff and community
- Must be considerate, respectful and display a helpful demeanor to all employees, volunteers and customers
- Must be able to work cordially, safely and efficiently in fast-paced, stressful conditions
- Must possess the ability to cope with loss of animal life from illness, injury and euthanasia
- Must exhibit the organization’s core values of compassion for all animals, respect and dignity for all, strive for excellence and teamwork
- Ability to safely and humanely handle animals
- Ability to respectfully give and receive feedback
- Ability to work independently and part of a team
- Ability to work in close proximity of others
- Canine Good Citizen Evaluator
- CPDT(Certified Pet Dog Trainer) or comparable certification
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions within the work environment.
- The noise level in the office environment is usually quiet, though barking or whining of animals may be escalated at certain times in certain areas of the building.
- High exposure to animals whose reactions to the shelter environment cannot be predicted.
- Temperatures in the shelter environment are varied, though usually moderate, and dependent on the season.
- Potential exposure to zoonotic diseases and hazardous chemicals.
- Ability to work around animals without severe allergic reactions. As work may need to be done outside of the shelter, the employee may encounter environmental issues outside of our control such as fallen tree limbs, rain storms or snow/ice. When this occurs the employee must report the issues immediately to their direct supervisor who will work to resolution.
The Nebraska Humane Society provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, marital status, status as a veteran, or any other protected category, in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.
Nothing in this job description restricts management's right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
Nebraska Humane Society