Provide veterinary medical and surgical nursing skills with a focus on shelter medicine. Veterinary technicians enhance the lives of animals at the Nebraska Humane Society (NHS) by partnering with fellow colleagues to prepare animals for adoption, alleviate suffering and bring justice to victims of cruelty. Periodic rotation through the NHS Spay & Neuter Center occurs on an as need basis.
Title: Veterinary Technician I
Department: Animal Medical Department
This position reports to: Shelter Veterinarian
Hours: Full-time; 40 hours/week
Schedule: Tuesday-Saturday 7:00am-4:00pm
This position description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees are required to follow any other job related duties assigned by their supervisor. This document does not create an employment contract implied or otherwise, and does not alter the “at? will” relationship.
· Perform medication rounds for shelter animals
o Administer prescribed pain medications, antibiotics, antiparasitics and vaccines
o Relieve animal suffering and comfort the sick
o Provide supplemental feeding to puppies and kittens too young for adoption
o Assist NHS veterinarians in disease surveillance
· Collect specimens and perform diagnostics as prescribed by NHS veterinarians – common diagnostics include:
o Digital radiographs
o Fecal exams by centrifugation
o Skin scrapes and cytology
o In-house CBC and chemistry panels
o DTMs, Wood’s Lamp and trichograms
o Heartworm, FeLV and FIV tests
o Parvo tests
o Submit various diagnostics to off-site laboratories
· Provide enrichment and stress reduction for animals through humane handling
· Perform medical rounds with NHS veterinarians
o Ensure prompt and accurate medical record updates
o Assist in examination of shelter animals
· Administer pre-medication, induce anesthesia and intubate surgical patients
· Direct other staff and volunteers on a rotational basis as lead anesthetist
· Monitor anesthetized patients
· Assist in animal emergency triage and resuscitation
· Place IV catheters
· Prepare animals for surgery
· Perform dental cleaning and non-surgical extraction as allowed for by state regulations
· Recover anesthesia patients with the assistance of trained volunteers
· Handle and record controlled substances for large volumes of surgical patients
· Assist in training new staff members, department volunteers, veterinary students and interns
· Collaborate with personnel from other NHS departments
· Perform safe and humane euthanasia when necessary on a limited basis in Animal Medical Department
· Act as a resource for adopters answering pre and post adoption medical questions
· Maintain clean treatment, housing and examination areas
· Periodically review, provide input and adhere to Animal Medical Department and shelter protocols
· Assist in the cleaning and sterilization of surgical equipment
· Perform any other duties as may be assigned by the Operations Manager or veterinarian
· Minimum: Associate of Applied Science Degree in Veterinary Technology from an accredited program
· Must be a licensed veterinary technician in the state of Nebraska
o Consideration will be given to veterinary technicians currently licensed in another state with a background in shelter/rescue work – must be able to obtain Nebraska veterinary technician license
· Must adhere to applicable state and federal laws governing the practice of veterinary medicine
· Display affection and compassion for animals and concern for their welfare
· Must adhere to highest ethical standards; possess trustworthiness, exercise maturity and sound independent judgment while maintaining a professional manner and personal appearance
· Ability to clearly communicate verbally and in writing
· Must have valid driver’s license with acceptable driving record and be able to provide proof of vehicle insurance
· Be comfortable and skilled working with a culturally diverse staff and community
· Must be considerate, respectful and display a helpful demeanor to all employees, volunteers and customers
· Must be able to work cordially, safely and efficiently in face-paced, stressful conditions
· Must possess the ability to cope with loss of animal life from illness, injury and euthanasia
· Must exhibit the organization core values of compassion for all animals, respect and dignity for all, strive for excellence and teamwork
· Ability to safely and humanely handle animals
· Ability to respectfully give and receive feedback
· Ability to work independently and part of a team
· Ability to work in close proximity of others
· One year veterinary technical experience preferred
· Previous experience in a shelter and/or high volume spay/neuter
· Familiarity with Microsoft operating systems and computer literate in Microsoft Office
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions within the work environment.
· Minimum 40 hours per week; will routinely exceed 40 hrs. during a majority of the year. Rotating on call emergency schedule required. Evening, weekend and holiday hours will be necessary as part of being on call, in the event of an emergency, staffing shortages or special events.
· The noise level in the office environment is usually quiet, though barking or whining of animals may be escalated at certain times in certain areas of the building.
· High exposure to animals whose reactions to the shelter environment cannot be predicted.
· Temperatures in the shelter environment are varied, though usually moderate, and dependent on the season.
· Potential exposure to zoonotic diseases and hazardous chemicals.
· Ability to work around animals without severe allergic reactions.
The Nebraska Humane Society provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants
for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, marital status, status as a veteran, or any other protected category, in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.
Nothing in this job description restricts management's right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.