Purpose of Position: Prepare accurate, timely financial statements in accordance with month end deadlines, utilizing input and support from all accounting staff. Ensure all reports, entries, adjustments, corrections, allocations and any other postings to the system fairly and accurately present the financial position of the Agency. Responsible for identifying efficiencies within the department and training and communicating with staff on new processes and procedures.
This position reports to: VP Finance
Hours: Full-time 40 hours/week
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
This position description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees are required to follow any other job related duties assigned by their supervisor. This document does not create an employment contract implied or otherwise and does not alter the “at?will” relationship.
- Prepare and distribute monthly departmental financial reports
- Ensure accuracy and timeliness of entries posted to the general ledger
- Maintain general ledger including setting up new accounts, creating new reports, deleting reports not used, closing prior years, and summarizing prior year data when necessary
- Assist VP Finance with financial audit schedules, reports, requests, and deadlines
- Weekly and monthly reconciliation of cash accounts
- Monthly reconciliation of asset and liability accounts
- Monthly maintenance of fixed asset system and recording depreciation expense
- Assist all departments within the Humane Society when there are financial and accounting questions and/or inquiries
- Prepare and submit the monthly Nebraska Sales and Use Tax return
- Assist VP Finance in budget preparation, adjustments, and reporting
- Approve Accounts Payable ACH batches and positive pay files on a weekly basis
- Monitor daily cash and advise VP Finance if available funds are insufficient to support one month’s operating budget
- Prepare unclaimed property remittance to the state annually
- Provide necessary financial assistance for special events, including but not limited to, assigning financial personnel work duties and credit card equipment
- Assist with the tracking and accurate posting of grants, estates, pledges and event proceeds
- Provide other information and reports as needed by the VP Finance
Position Qualifications: Education, Experience, Certification, and Knowledge/Skills/Abilities
- BS in Accounting or Finance
- Experience with financial/accounting software, management information systems and Microsoft Suite products
- Knowledge of accepted accounting practices and principles
- Knowledge of advanced accounting and reporting
- Excellent communication, organizational and prioritization skills
- Excellent problem solving abilities and resource planning
- Demonstrated leadership skills
- Ability to handle stress
- Must be proficient with a10-key calculator
- Must be trustworthy and able to keep sensitive information confidential
- Must be a self-starter with the ability to work independently
- Affection and compassion for animals, concern for their welfare and a willingness to accommodate animals in the workplace
- Must possess maturity, good judgment and professional manner and appearance
- Be comfortable and skilled working with a culturally diverse staff and community.
- Must be considerate and respectful of all employees, volunteers and customers
- Experience with Blackbaud Financial Edge software
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions within the work environment.
- The noise level in the office environment is usually quiet, though barking or whining of animals may be escalated at certain times in certain areas of the building.
- High exposure to animals whose reactions to the shelter environment cannot be predicted.
- Temperatures in the shelter environment are varied, though usually moderate, and dependent on the season.
- Potential exposure to zoonotic diseases and hazardous chemicals.
- Ability to work around animals without severe allergic reactions.
The Nebraska Humane Society provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, marital status, status as a veteran, or any other protected category, in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.
Nothing in this job description restricts management's right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.