Direct the financial management and other administrative support services for the organization. Maintain and monitor the fiscal soundness of the organization. Ensure effective and streamlined administrative, financial, personnel and other management information
systems/processes are in place to effectively operate and monitor the performance of the organization.
Vice President, Finance
President and CEO
IT and Licensing Director, Sr. Staff Accountant, Staff Accountant, Accounts Payable Specialist, Accounting Technician
Minimum of 40 hours per week, primarily Monday – Friday. On call 24/7.
- Demonstrate humane and compassionate animal care, both on and off the job, and transmit these values to others.
- Continually strive for excellence in the departments within the scope of responsibility, including personnel practices, ensuring efficient operations and, most importantly, saving lives.
- Consistently demonstrate a drive to help all employees, within the scope of responsibility, to succeed through clear communication; challenging employees for feedback and ideas and empowering employees.
- Model tactful, respectful and effective communication with the staff and public while providing accurate information and courteous service.
Finance and Accounting:
- Oversee functions of the accounting department including cash, accounts receivable and accounts payable.
- Ensure financial systems and supporting information systems are in place to effectively monitor the performance of the organization and to provide accurate financial reporting and analysis to the CEO and department heads so they can make actionable decisions on both strategy and operations.
- Enhance and implement financial and accounting systems, policies, processes, tools and control systems.
- Present and report accurate and timely historical financial information of the organization. Coordinate the preparation of financial statements, financial reports, special analyses and information reports for the NHS Board of Directors, NHS Foundation Board, NHS Finance Committee and NHS Management.
- Coordinate the development and monitoring of the annual operating and capital budgets.
- Provide support to the development department in the preparation of grants.
- Oversee cash flow planning and ensure availability of funds as needed.
- Oversee banking relationships.
- Ensure maintenance of appropriate internal controls and financial procedures to ensure financial statements are prepared in accordance with generally accepted accounting procedures and that assets are safeguarded from theft or misappropriation.
- Coordinate the external audit and accumulate data necessary to ensure the proper filing of federal tax and state sales tax returns.
- Ensure legal and regulatory compliance regarding all financial functions.
- Remain up to date on nonprofit audit best practices and state and federal law regarding nonprofit operations.
- Communicate with appropriate municipalities concerning licensing notices, ordinances and other issues.
- Ensure proper processing of pet licenses, entry of rabies vaccinations and the retrieval of pet licensing phone messages.
- Ensure licenses are processed in accordance with municipality ordinances.
- Evaluate and recommend improvements to streamline the entry of rabies vaccinations, data entry and fulfillment of pet licenses.
- Ensure computer network and hardware support provided is effective and efficient.
- Ensure system databases are validated on a periodic basis.
- Ensure report requests are responded to on a timely basis and with accuracy.
- Enforce and develop, as needed, policies regarding computer use to safeguard NHS computer systems.
- Provide/Plan for disaster recovery: Ensure performance of daily backups and that routine off-site storage is maintained.
- Evaluate and recommend new opportunities to utilize technology within the organization.
- Build a strong team that rallies around our mission and vision.
- Develop a system and process to support individuals which results in encouraging people to feel good about their accomplishments.
- Foster teamwork by working cooperatively with others, both inside or outside the agency.
- Manage team conflicts and create win-win situations for those involved.
- Allow employees freedom to decide how they will accomplish their goals and resolve issues.
- Ensure that approved, agency information is passed on to employees to keep them informed.
- Provide leadership to ensure compassionate, professional, effective and efficient staffing throughout organization.
- Demonstrate a commitment to team building through modeling a positive and respectful attitude toward all NHS employees.
- Participate in strategic planning meetings as needed, while continually striving to involve all departmental employees in planning and executing the strategic plan.
- Continually work to improve personal management skills as well as the skills of the supervisors within my scope of responsibility.
- Responsible for hiring, training, motivating, coaching, promoting, supervising and terminating employees.
- Ensure safety programs are in place and that all employees are provided with a safe and healthful work environment.
- Provide needed financial guidance and/or information to support all departments in their operational planning and process improvements.
- Ensure all Nebraska Humane Society procedures and policies are carried out properly.
- Perform all other tasks as requested by the President/CEO.
Physical requirements are those present in normal office environment conditions. Operational flexibility is required to meet sudden and unpredictable needs. Potential exposure to zoonotic diseases, dangerous and fractious animals, high noise levels, and hazardous chemicals.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance.
- MBA preferred.
- Minimum of 5+ year’s senior financial management experience.
- CPA preferred.
- Non-profit accounting experience desired.
- Experience with financial/accounting software, management information systems and Microsoft office products.
- Integrity, honesty and high ethical standards.
- Proven history of self-directed work to improve processes and procedures and excellent understanding of business processes
- and operations.
- Must have good vision for detailed work.
- Strong strategic planning and analytical skills.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Proven leadership and motivation skills.
- Proven ability to promote teamwork.
- Proven ability in decision making.
- Affection for animals, concern for their welfare and a willingness to accommodate animals in the workplace.
- Must have valid drivers license with acceptable driving record and be able to provide proof of vehicle insurance.
- Ability to organize and prioritize tasks and assignments in order to meet deadlines.
- Be comfortable and skilled working with a culturally diverse staff and community.
- Must have the ability to balance multiple projects.
- Must possess maturity, good judgement and professional manner and personal appearance.
- Must be a self-starter with the ability to work independently.
- Must have a commitment to treat people and animals with respect; contribute to effective teamwork; promote intra- and inter-departmental cooperation and foster public relations beneficial to the Society.