Purpose of Position: Support health and well-being of all animals under the care of the Nebraska Humane Society (NHS).
Animal Welfare Specialist I
Animal Care Supervisor
Part-time; 20 hours/week
This position description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees are required to follow any other job related duties assigned by their supervisor. This document does not create an employment contract implied or otherwise, other than an “at?will” relationship.
- Perform daily sanitation of kennels and cattery areas according to the Nebraska Humane Society’s Standard Operating Procedures.
- General cleaning including, but not limited to laundry, and dishes.
- Provide superior care for all animals, with a focus on basic necessities such as food, water, and living conditions.
- Humane and safe animal handling according the Nebraska Humane Society’s Standard Operating Procedures.
- Animal retrievals for owner reclaims and for cremation services.
- May occasionally fill out appropriate paperwork for animals scheduled for surgery.
- While handling animals, must report any behavior or medical observations that could compromise the welfare of the animal.
- Carry out proper shelter closing procedures as defined in the closing checklist sheet before the end of shift.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High school Diploma or GED.
- Previous experience in an animal welfare agency such as a vet office, animal shelter, etc.
- Display affection and compassion for animals and concern for their welfare.
- Must adhere to highest ethical standards: possess trustworthiness, exercise maturity and sound judgment while maintaining a professional manner and personal appearance.
- Be comfortable and skilled working with a culturally diverse staff and community.
- Must be considerate, respectful and display a helpful demeanor to all employees, volunteers, and customers.
- Must be able to work cordially, safely and efficiently in fast-paced, stressful conditions.
- Must possess the ability to cope with loss of animal life from illness, injury and euthanasia.
- Must exhibit the organization core values of compassion for all animals, respect and dignity for all, strive for excellence, and teamwork.
- Ability to safely and humanely handle animals
- Ability to respectfully give and receive feedback
- Ability to work independently and part of a team.
- Ability to work in close proximity of others.
- Ability to work around all types of animals without allergic reaction.
- Ability to be self-directed and self-motivated.
- Ability to be flexible and resilient in ever changing conditions.
- Strong verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Previous experience using an animal sheltering computer program such as Chameleon.
- Associate’s degree in a Science related field.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions within the work environment.
- Minimum 20 hours per week; will routine exceed 20 hours during a majority of the year. Rotating holiday work schedule required. Evening and weekend hours may be necessary in the event of an emergency, staffing shortages or a special event.
- The noise level in the office environment is usually quiet, though barking or whining of animals may be escalated at certain times in certain areas of the building.
- High exposure to animals whose reactions to the shelter environment cannot be predicted.
- Temperatures in the shelter environment are varied, though usually moderate, and dependent on the season.
- Potential exposure to zoonotic diseases and hazardous chemicals.
- Ability to work around animals without severe allergic reactions.
The Nebraska Humane Society provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, marital status, status as a veteran, or any other protected category, in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.
Nothing in this job description restricts management's right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.